Throttle Cam - 1963 18hp Fastwin

vulbus

Recruit
1963 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp - model:18302L

When I twist the throttle on the tiller handle, the throttle cam only moves a little bit causing the engine to accelerate slightly. It appears that there is a great deal of acceleration left gauging by the amount of the throttle cam that is not engaging the follower. When I move the cam follower with my hand, the engine accelerates fine and produces a great deal more RPMs than I can by just twisting the throttle.

The cam follower is correctly aligned with the mark on the cam, I followed the instructions in the top secret file to get the engine running well, and the manual does not seem to have any guidance on this.

Any help is appreciated!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Throttle Cam - 1963 18hp Fastwin

is the neutral safety disengaging? may be you tiller handle jump a gear, at the folding joint. not allowing it to turn as far as it should.

vulbus

Recruit

Good question - I have no idea what the neutral safety is. Can you provide any guidance how I can identify that?

I've checked the gear on the tiller handle and it is not jumping a gear. I have wondered if a previous owner rotated this gear so that it wouldn't engage the throttle all of the way. Think this could be a possibility?

Thanks!

vulbus

Recruit

Ok, I'm an idiot. I was running the motor in a barrel in neutral. Once in gear it goes full throttle just fine. Watching it work taught me what the neutral safety bar is - everything is working flawlessly, just as Evinrude intended.

Thanks for your help tashasdaddy!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you are not the first idiot that has done that!!!!! LOL. congrats, safe, happy boating.