Boat running hot on plane PLEASE HELP

BLDFW

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boat running hot on plane PLEASE HELP

That's excellent info.

At least you know pretty much now it's not the engine itself. The bubbles and the half filled hoses clearly indicate insufficient amounts of water getting from the pump to the engine. As to the true source of the problem, it's likely leaking seals but the big question is which seals and that is not something you are going to be able to figure out on your own if you are not capable of tearing into the outdrive.

On my last boat, an '86 25' Bayliner, when I finally figured out my seals were leaking (1.5 years later after a series of overheats) I was not capable then of doing the work myself because I did not have a trailer to pull the boat out. I had to pay the marina $1800 (your's likely won't be that much!!) to reseal the entire outdrive with new gaskets and O-rings but it did resolve the problem.

My current 16' Evinrude boat is out in my carport and I just finished resealing it myself after doing a lot of reading. It's not that difficult if you have some mechanical aptitude, a good tool kit, a good manual and some good moral support.

At this point you have a decision to make. If you are not capable of working on the outdrive yourself, you're going to have to take it somewhere to have the work done. But at least you know where the problem lies.

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found in Don's pdf he attached they thwy will just tape pff the inlets ont he drive and run water at a light pressure backwards thru the system from the inlet hose on the water impeller back, look for leaks and fix them

Bad news in no shop here can even touch it till august 3rd. Going to keep calling and pushing. The place that does my bellows, gimbal, etc can do it Monday but i do not trust them after this as the mechanic laughed at my clear hose testing idea and said it is plugged up somewhere with debris and we just need to start taking things apart - clearly that is not the case now

captmello

Captain

Why don't you do as it said in the PDF and tape off the intake and pressure test yourself. Maybe you can figure out exactly where is leaking. Maybe it's an easy fix.:)

BLDFW

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why don't you do as it said in the PDF and tape off the intake and pressure test yourself. Maybe you can figure out exactly where is leaking. Maybe it's an easy fix.:)

The challenge there is that it's far easier to suck air through a seal that it is to push water through it not to mention that what you are looking for is likely going to be behind the outdrive casings where it can't be seen anyway. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I would recommend checking out some of the available websites out there the provided exploded schematics and number parts descriptions to determine how many o-rings, gaskets or other possible leak sources there are from the impeller housing down to the actual water intake. If you're not familiar with any such sites, I'd open a new thread asking for sources specific to your outdrive model. Someone on this group with know of a source to visualize all the parts.

I'm going to be offline till likely Sunday but will be interested to know what the outcome is. Good luck with it!

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have decided to bit the bullet and take it to an authorized Volvo Service facility (Westport Marina here on Lake Norman) that is on the water and will be able to know i have a guy that actually knows what he is doing fix it. They are going to be able to take it on Monday and based on my conversation said it should be fixed by EOB Tuesday at the latest. I know i am going to pay more this way by probably a few hundred dollars potentially but at least i also know they were able to have an intelligent call with me on the phone understanding this. I called two other independent shops and they were clueless about having a sucking air issue, eveyone wants to go right to obstructions in the engine. Also this place will warranty their work so i can get on with my summer

I appreciate all of the support for this. I now know i can change my own impeller yearly and also how to diagnose these issues which i am sure both will save me money long term. At this point i am going to baby it this weekend and still take the family out, just stay off plane as it runs fine with the drive submerged and hope for a less than 4 figure bill next week

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Good luck Robert. The Volvo shop should be able to fix it without issues.
You know the problem is in the drive.
How did they react to the clear hose and sucking air?

The shop that laughed about it needs some more training...:rolleyes:

rbh

Fleet Admiral

morning robert-
good to hear that you found the problem, I have been following this problem since number 1 and I have learned a couple of things I did not know, which should be benneficial.
rob

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

The volvo shop said it makes perfect sense. Of course they covered themselves by saying they still will confirm the diagnosis and need to make sure there is not another secondary issue which i understand, i just hope they don't run up a bill on me. I am at their Mercy at this point but at least thanks to all of you I am not an uneducated consumer

The shop that laughed at me now says it makes sense and they can fix it and they think it is the seal between the lower and upper unit. I have not told them I am not going to use them and why but I would rather pay extra right now knowing i had people who are factory trained fixing this and since it is a new boat to me i will get the drivetrain back with a full and clean bill of health and i can enjoy my summer

Wish me luck next week. I will use the boat to float around on this weekend just cruising at under plane speeds with the family. Hopefully next weekend i will be hauling arse at 52 mph at 170 degrees:) Just hope my bank account is not drained int he process. Anybody have an idea of how much labor this should reasonably take to correct

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Make sure they check or replace the water hose at the gimbal housing,the bellows would be a must while the drive is off too.
All of those items dry rot and crack.
My bet is its the water hose below the bellows..
Being when you turn or trim up the problem starts...

I guess we will all know next week.

The bad thing about not having a trailer....:(

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got it

I just had the bellows replaced as well as the Gimbal, Impeller and T-Stat last week by the other shop, they greased the U joints as well. They said the inside of the drive looked brand new but obviously they were assuming the overheat was the t-stat which was no good as well as needing to replace the impeller.

I may be in luck, a guy that runs a mobile marine service is willing to look at it saturday morning and i tested him to see if he knew his stuff and he said all of the stuf in this thread without me telling him anything. I have to drive the boat across the lake which will take me a long time not on plane but if he can do it (He is returning from California Fri night) i will be able to watch him work and do the job and will learn even more so i am hoping he can come thru. If not then it will go to westport on Monday morning.

Just like when you helped me with the Gas Gauge issue on my old boat Gary, i will never be happier to see a gauge read properly as i will hopefully next week when the temp one does!!!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The mobile guy must have use of a marina to get the boat on land.

Good luck Robert. Keep us posted.Did you sell the ChrisCraft?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I seem to remember you said that you it appeared to overheat more or more quickly in a turn?

There is a hose [#28 in the picture below] that runs inside the gimbal that is flexible that would be "bending/flexing" when you turn left and right.

If the clamps were loose or the hose or hose fitting(#13, which is plastic I believe) had a little crack in it, it might suck a little air there when the boat is on plane since it would be above the surface of the water......

If you're just sitting in the water running..... The cracked area would be submerged.

Since the pump is engine mounted, ANY leak prior to the pump would suck air all the time. If the leaking part of that line is under water it would only suck air when it's out of the water.....(like when on "plane")

ACF208F.gif

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you are right and that it is that hose or the fitting. It is definitely something then is submerged in water when off plane but exposed to air when on plane so that at least limits the options

The mobile guy has a slip at a marina where he can use the lot and services over by the rusty rudder. I jsut hope he makes it home friday and we can look at it saturday morning

Gary - I sold the old Chris Craft in less than a day on craigs list. I think i must have given it away for it so sell so quick but i bought it two seasons earlier for 8k and sold it for 6k. I had just spend $550 on it resealing the drive, replacing the gimbal, bellows, etc the very week before but i picked up this mint (Outside of this problem) 99 230 Chris Craft Sportdeck for $11,700 and it was what i have been looking for exactly for about a year with only 42 hours on it (Perhaps why i may have a seal problem, the boat was never used!!)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Nice jump up to a 23....Congrats buddy!:D

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Gary, she is a beauty but it is only a nice jump if i can drive the damn thing

Guess i will know for sure if i got a good deal or not next week when they take it apart

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boat is fixed and now running perfect. Pieces of impeller were stuck in the drive as well as the t stat housing. I learned that the other place is a bunch of morons and they robbed me

The marina took the drive off and found water int he one week old u joint bellows and a ruined gimbal already. Also they found impeller chucks in the t stat housing and a missing t stat. I wont even go into the BS excuses the independent shop gave me but they are a bunch of lying losers who know less about engine diagnostics than I do at this point and will get not another dollar from me. I made them go to the marina and replace the gimabl and put the a new bellows on and made sure the marina reinstalled the drive right. I also made them give me a t stat. I had the marina replace the shift cable too as the housing was messed up probably from when these hacks took the drive off the first time

Anyway $604 later (on top of the $535 i already paid the other losers and the boat is perfect. ****ing is perfect, temps are perfect and i have new bellows, gimbal, impeller, t-stat, a flushed engine and a service drive. Clearly i overpaid by trying to use an independent 1st and from now on i either fix it myself or it goes to the marina but at least now i have a boat that operates perfectly. The shop foreman said the engine and drive are in new condition and i should not have any problems out of it for a long time provided i jst do basic maintenance.

Thank you for all your help, i am furious at the other shop but i am on to enjoying summer and i got this boat so cheap that even with a full tank of gas which i got tonight as well i am into ot for less than $13k which for a 24 ft Chris Crafts Sport deck with 50 hours on it freshly serviced in mint condition I still think i did well.

BLDFW

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad the problem has been resolved. :D

It's a pisser for sure and we've all experienced similar situations. :mad: I'd call it a lesson learned and let it go. Karma has a way of returning to the bad guys. But do make sure you pass the word on the poor service provided by them.

Enjoy the boat and the summer! With luck, maybe I will have the bugs worked out on mine by this weekend and will be able to launch for only the 2nd time this season!:rolleyes:

NCCamper

Cadet

Robert,

I've been following this with great interest.

Glad to hear it is fixed, albeit with more $$$ than needed to be. Maybe for fellow boaters on LKN and LKW, it sure would be nice to know which independent marine service facility/person to stay away from! Not that you should post it here, but maybe a PM would be in order.

I usually boat on LKW, but have been on LKN several times.

Now get out there and enjoy the rest of the summer. That is, if we can get rid of these afternoon and evening storms!

NCC

captmello

Captain

What about the bubbles? Is there an expanation for that?

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys - I am glad all is well - those losers will surely have karma come around at some point. Without naming names it is a recently relocated business from SC to NC - enough said

As for the bubble there was a leak in a gasket in the drive, i cant describe it exactly but it is where there is a plate back there and there were impeller pieces lodges in there that opened up a leak so when the boat got on plane that areas of the drive was above the water line and it caused it to suck air instead of just water