Prop info

toolsinbox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
with respect to props, clearly the pitch is easy to understand but where I get lost is the 4 blade props, 5 blade chopper type and the reg 3 blade. What are the differences? What are the signs to look for that you are using the wrong prop?
Also in my case with a freshly rebult 454 what prop is the best to use when breaking it in? I bought an intire alpha outdrive, arriving this comming week, everything but the trim pump, Its comes complete with a stock merc prop. I will post pics of all three props I have then as the two I have right now dont have any pitch markings on them, for your input as to what I should be using.
Thanks.

hwsiii

Commander
Re: Prop info

Tools, 4 blade props are very useful when you run in formed seas and the boat keeps bogging down because a head sea is holding you back, they can help when you pull skiers as the extra blade surface area can decrease the amount of prop slip encountered with that extra heavy load from the skier being pulled up. They are very helpful for boats that have a very heavy stern if they have zero rake and cup on the trailing edge to help lift the whole boat out of the water instead of lifting an already light bow and thus ensuring a lower planing speed and they help the boat from falling off plane as easily as it did before. They can help with boats that have a lot of prop slip caused by either hull design and a lower horsepower motor or just very heavy boats, as the extra blade surface area will help deliver the thrust needed to push it.

After having said all this, 3 blade props do an excellent job in most cases and can produce excellent performance in most boats, the difference in most cases is that to find the right 3 blade prop for a lot of boats that have problems with high prop slip, low end thrust problems, and various other problems requires knowing all about the different properties involved in blade geometry and which ones are best suited for your hull type, motor size and your intended uses. The way this is normally done, in most cases, is to try a lottt of different props until you hit the right combination that maximizes the solution for your intended uses. And most people have a hard time finding a prop shop that is willing to let them try props until they find the right one.

In many cases a 4 blade prop can cure a lot of problems very quickly without having to go through all of the process of finding, testing and changing so many different props because of the extra blade surface area they offer. Although, when someone is trying to maximize every last MPH out of their boat and motor combination there is no other way that I know of to accomplish this goal. But for most people a simple change to a 4 blade prop can cure certain problems very quickly.

We are very lucky here in that Dhadley has been testing props for years for major manufacturers and his knowledge is extensive to say the minimum. And he certainly has the ability to pick a very good prop very quickly.

H

TilliamWe

Banned

tools, think of the extra blades (in relation to a 3 blade prop) as extra "traction". The idea behind 4 and 5 blade props is to reduce prop slippage. Cleavers are just a certain type of blade shape. (You do NOT need one)

I love three blade props, and they have worked well for every boat I have ever owned/used. But some boats need 4 and 5 blade props. For example, my friend has a tunnel hull type boat, and his four blade prop is almost a requirement, in order to get it out of the hole.
5 blade props are popular with the watersports crowds.

Start with a 3 blade in your boat, but don't be afraid to use a four blade. You don't need a 5 blade, really.

TilliamWe

Banned

tools, if you go to Trailer Boats Magazine's website, or find their July 2009 issue, they ran a propeller basics article. They seem to do that about once a year. It's very basic, but you might learn something from it.

toolsinbox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thankyou for thoes great responces.

I got out the magniging glass and found the following on the two props I have:

4 blade Turbo 2x2............M14 1/4 x 24

3 blade michigan wheel..............1425R25

What do these numbers mean
Thanks again.

hwsiii

Commander

The first prop is a Turbo 4 Blade in a 14 1/4 x 24" Pitch prop and is an exceptionally good prop. The other one is a Michigan Wheel prop and I don't know which model it is, but it is a 14 1/4" x 25" Pitch prop.
I would try the Turbo first.

H

toolsinbox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thankyou so very much for your help here. I have a third three blade comming with an outdrive I bought so I will find this post and give details on that one.

Cheers