clinton chief j7 questions

great gricey

Seaman Apprentice
I have an old clinton chief model j-7 and I cannot find any info on it anywhere. I need to know the oil/gas mixture, spark plug gap, whether it takes gear oil or grease, and how to set the air mix knobs on the front of the motor. The serial number is 39890 and the model numbers are
10-13-7-0-4-5.
I would appreciate any information and thank you in advance.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: clinton chief j7 questions

1957 motor.Apparently one year production.1/2 pt.(8) ozs. per gallon fuel mix.
use TCW3 rated oil. or quality 2 stroke oil.Aircooled power head with a water cooled leg using a pump. Gearcase uses standard outboard gear lube.
High speed one turn out,low speed 3/4 turn out.Final adjustment made under load.Adjust high speed at approximately 1/2 speed then low speed.
After adj.open and close the throttle should respond normaslly.
Usually best to adjust high speed slightly on the rich side.Not enough to affect operation.

great gricey

Seaman Apprentice

thank you so much. are the parts readily available for this motor. It was a gift and I plan on using it for an emergency back up motor on Lake Erie. Thanks again for the info.

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just got one, too. Bought it on E-bay and it's going to be my trolling motor, once I get it cleaned up. It's also a Model J-7, S/N 41011, Type No. 10-13-7-0-4-5. However, the cowling decal says, "Apache". Is there a difference between the Apache and the Chief? Any info you have would be greatly appreciated. The seller said it's a 5hp, but I don't see any rating info on it anywhere. Is that indeed fact, at least as far as mfr ratings go? Thanks!

great gricey

Seaman Apprentice

witenite - how has the clinton been running for you. what size is your boat and how fast does it go with the clinton on it? My 48 horse runs too fast - from 2.8 to 3.4 when trolling - not bad for muskies but too fast for walleyes in lake erie.

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

Haven't had it on the lake yet. I'll keep you posted.