Identify the Starcraft

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys, I'm new here and am in the process of purchasing my first starcraft boat. It was advertised as a 1974 19" Off Shore model, Ive been trying to research it and am not having much luck. its got a mercruiser 110 and a removeable hardtop with curtain with a riveted aluminum hull, If anyone can shed some light on it I'd appreciate it , I have the VIN if that helps
j17x1i.jpg

241uhk4.jpg

so being as Im new here a joke is in order I would think

Why are women like wheelbarrows?
they're hard to push around and easily upset

North Beach

Commander
Re: Identify the Starcraft

Welcome to iboats Gnarly. Most of my literature is thru the 60's. It looks like an 18" Holiday. Also. I don't thing they were offering the 110 engine in the 70's. Are you sure of the year? Do you have any additional pics? Are the emblems on the sides decals or made of vinyl?

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for that, I too think its an 18 foot Holiday, I'll have some pics and more info next week when I go see it , I'll no doubt have some more questions for you too.
cheers

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a hodge podge. The 70's only had the 120 Mercruiser.
Sounds like someone had a couple of starcrafts and made a center console fishing machine.

cookkimm

Recruit

I am from Argentina so I am sorry in advance for any bad spelling. I own an Argentinian 27.50 feet cuddy boat(brand new). I bought it with a mercruiser 5.0 mpi (260hp) with Bravo I. The sales person promised it will be enough to do cruising, fishing, wake boarding and mono skiing. He lied. It is not enough for mono skiing. So I am in the process of changing the engine. I am in a dilema: Should I buy the volvo 5.7 gxi or the mercruiser 6.2, both with duopropellers??? The price is similar. Thank you.

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should post this in the Mercruiser engine forum on Iboats and not hijack someone elses thread. By the way the 6.2 will give you a lot more.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanks for that, I too think its an 18 foot Holiday, I'll have some pics and more info next week when I go see it , I'll no doubt have some more questions for you too.
cheers

Thats a Holiday, no doubt...That removable HT has to be backyard enginerring....The bow is closed right? Other wise it's be an SS...
If the motor is original..It has to be from the 60's era.

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kev take a look at the windshield on that boat. It looks like a mid 60's style pretty flat across not much rake.
I know on mine and other from the late 60's through the 80's they seem to have more rake and angled on the 2 outer front glass on the wind shield.

Makes me wonder if someone did a plate switch.
DSC_6602.jpg

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like my Holiday 22 windshield as well. I do not have bow rails. My 22 is a 75. Looks like it is real heavy in the rear???

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Kev take a look at the windshield on that boat. It looks like a mid 60's style pretty flat across not much rake.
I know on mine and other from the late 60's through the 80's they seem to have more rake and angled on the 2 outer front glass on the wind shield.

Makes me wonder if someone did a plate switch.
DSC_6602.jpg

Hmmm..Here I am staring at his WS, staring at YOUR WS, looking at MY WS, trying to see what you see...My SC is a 68..looks pretty flat..

apoloosassc.jpg

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a couple more pics fella's and am attaching them to see if they help with this, If you figure he's being less than honest I'd like to know about it before saturday when I go pick it up
thanks
28u1d76.jpg

2yyw9ok.jpg

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

The added top can come off and it would look natural again. The front seats are a add on also ( I Think it had back to back seats orrigionaly). If the motor runs and the hull seems sound then you can determine if the price is right. Ask when it was in the water last and pull the drain plug, on a hill ,to check for retained water. the weght of the bare boat should have been around 1300 to 1400 lbs. The photo in the water? still looks heavy in the rear. You can fix most anything on these boats.

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kev look at the top of my windshield frame looking staight across the boat. You can see how it comes back at the corners maybe a good 6" from the center of the winshield.

Most of the 60's Starcrafts where pretty flat across.

Yes the wife is reading a book on the seat layed out. It's that sun worship thing :eek:

Rickairmedic

Commander

Gnarly thats a Holiday for sure and if the price is right I would go for it . Theres a couple 19' models for sale around me in the $1750.00 range with nothing interiorwise in them but a pair of pedestal seats up front . The great thing with Starcrafts is if the motor runs the rest is really pretty easy compared to a fiberglass boat.

Rick

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We're headed out tomorow morning to pick it up, I'll try and have some better pics up and the details next week, Is there any way I can check the year by the VIN code ? not that its going to make a lot of difference.

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys,
As it turns out its a 71 offshore model 18 footer with a 120 mercruiser, the previous owner came up with the hardtop idea , it has the open bow with seating up front , its all there and everything seems to work other than the trim indicator, I'll snap some pics later this week and get them up

Rickairmedic

Commander

Gnarly if it has an open bow with seats then it is what several of us consider to be the Holy Grail Starcraft :D:D. Otherwise known as a Super Sport . I have to say that top deffinately needs to go if its a Super Sport :eek:.

Rick

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a pic on the way back to BC from Spokane where I picked it up
ngew3p.jpg

the hardtop's removable 4 bolts, has a steerable kicker plate and air ride seats.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Gnarly I can see the bow better there and yep thats a Super Sport for sure great find and get tht goofy hardtop off her she is a Classic sportboat and looks more like Grandpaws fishin boat with the top :D.

Rick