gek coat is still tacky

I am remodling my 2000 bayliner 1954 capri. WHen i bought the boat it had a few soft spots in the deck so i figured, what the hell, i might as well tear everything out and redeck it the way i want it. Anyway, my problem is the gel coat. I fiberglassed the deck and it hardened llike concrete. I was told to use the same amount of catalyst with the gel coat. I now have a tacky gel coat. I was told by a professional to put the boat in the sun for a few hours and it would harden. I let it soak up some sun for about 2 hours today befor the rain started and I had to bring it in. It seemed to harden a little. Is there anything i can to to make this stuff harden? I have to add somemore so i was just thinking of re coating it with more catalyst this time. Any suggestions???

Attachments

• woejof.jpg
    woejof.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
  • floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 0

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: gek coat is still tacky

Was there wax in the gelcoat? If not, you will have to put another layer of gelcoat with wax mixed in for it to properly cure.

If there was wax in it.. well, let's hope there wasn't or hopefully there is an easy solution I don't know about :(.

I honestly dont know if there was wax in it or not. I will have to contact the guy that i bought it from in the morning. The boat has been in a metal building for over a week with no ac. Im in south louisiana so you can imagine how hot it has been in there. I thought it would have hardened in that hot dry environment. O well ill just pour some more cash into her i guess!!!

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

it's not just the heat that helps, but the light. bake it in the sun.

Im hoping that baking it works. The only bad thing is the forecast here has over a %50 chance of rain for the next few days so im just gonna leave it inside till the sun comes back out i guess.

cheesegrits

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't buy more yet! Get some acetone and scrub the area with a rag soaked in it. When resin cures it floats a layer of stuff on top that usually can be removed. Don't use paper towels as these will stick in this layer and you'll have a bigger mess! Hopefully this works so please post back and tell us if it does. Oh yeah, make sure and wear gloves! Try this as long as the underlayer of resin is hard. If it is not hard you either have not enough hardener or too much. Good luck.

Re: gelcoat is still tacky

Re: gelcoat is still tacky

Im a little confused. Everything with gelcoat is tacky. After i scrub the deck with acetone, what will come to the top? The fiberglass over the wood was completly dry and hard when i coated it. Are you saying that scrubing the gelcoat with acetone will make something raise to the top that will harden it, and after i remove it( whatever rises) everything could possibly be fine with my gelcoat?

jonesg

Admiral

Wait for the sun, or try a UV light.

originally polyester resins were cured by UV lights, then along came mekp.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The curing of polyester is inhibited by air, when wax is added it floats to the surface and seals it off so the exposed surface will cure hard. At this point nothing will finish the cure except another layer of gel coat with wax in it.

Washing the surface with acetone will normally remove the sticky layer, but it will typically stain easier. Putting it in the sun will dry the surface by removing all the solvents and other liquids, but won't really cure it, it will still be soft and may rub off.

thanks for being clear, I guess all i can do now is buy some more! Ill post some pics when i get finished!! Thanks guys

jonesg

Admiral

try spraying it with pva mold release to block the air, then wash off with water to remove.