Or use this method. :eek:

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 0

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Stolen Trailer

one of my favorite ramps is out in bfe so when i get that funny feeling on the way to the lake i back my trailer against those lil concrete parking lot markers.......... i kind of wedge it between my truck and the stopper.

i have seen a few others out there like that............... but in some places it would be a pain in the butt to get in or out.

i hope you have a REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD cable if thats the way you go............... i used to use a cable to lock up my spare, had a flat one day and the lock was frozen up......... took about 10-15 secs with a hacksaw blade....... didnt even require the whole saw........... and no i dont carry a hacksaw blade it was a good samaritan who stopped to offer assistance.

i guess you could also get one of those portable air tanks and flatten one of your tires then air it up before you leave................ when you try to beat a thief you have to think anything is possible, and this means you have to inventive.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

While on vacation we often leave the boat at the house and go shopping. I always take the receiver/ball mount out if the hitch because I don't want that stolen while in Walmart buying water toys for the kids.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

I "wish" someone would steal my FW's trailer because it's a POS!!! Wouldn't trade the boat for anything but the freakin trailer ain't worth a dime...

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

So how did they steal your trailer? You mentioned all of the locks, but you didn't say which lock(s) were cut/removed.

What do you guys think of something like this:
Clam%20Shell%20trailer%20lock.jpg

This would essentially cover the entire hitch area, preventing bolt cutters. It could have a vending machine style lock on it and possibly a spot for a backup padlock. I figure if that can't access that area, they can't steal the trailer without removing the hitch receiver itself. The clam shell could also attach to the trailer frame, ensuring you don't find yourself being lazy and not wanting to deal with the hassle. Just close it up and it's locked. Unlock it and it swings open.

What do you think? Something worthwhile? Would you use it?

ckone0814

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn't read every word in this thread so maybe this has been suggested already... if the ramp spaces have a fixed object, like a curb, wall, bushes, posts, railing, dirt mound, etc in the front consider backing the trailer in right close to the object. If it's a tight squeeze or you're not too good at maneuvering, disconnect the trailer, roll it in, then park your vehicle in front of it. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...

Shadow66

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So how did they steal your trailer? You mentioned all of the locks, but you didn't say which lock(s) were cut/removed.

This would essentially cover the entire hitch area, preventing bolt cutters. It could have a vending machine style lock on it and possibly a spot for a backup padlock. I figure if that can't access that area, they can't steal the trailer without removing the hitch receiver itself. The clam shell could also attach to the trailer frame, ensuring you don't find yourself being lazy and not wanting to deal with the hassle. Just close it up and it's locked. Unlock it and it swings open.

It was the reciever lock. At least I think so since they took the reciever and did not leave the ball.

The lock you have in mind looks good! But I think it would only protect the ball lock and not the reciever lock (pin) that they took off on mine.

gostephen

Seaman

i use these on the coupler
http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/p...or/&displaynav=&sub_cat_id=D37&template=style

this on the receiver
http://www.softride.com/towing-products/specifications/hitch_pin_with_lock
it looks weird but it needs a hacksaw and a wrench to get off

i also run a 1/2in steal cable from the trailer to the truck frame with a hefty padlock on it

but don't forget the ball if you have 1 of those 1 tool receivers, where all u need is 1 wrench to get the ball off, all they need is a wrench and a new receiver to steal your trailer.

master lock makes a receiver that locks to the truck from the inside so a hacksaw is useless
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MLC-3490ATSC/

MikDee

Banned

Shadow, I'm So Sorry to hear of your loss, those rat B******s! How low can you get :rolleyes: and this was in broad daylight!? :eek: They must not be locals, I don't think they'd have the b***s to use it around town, they must've been from outta town, but that ramp sounds like a frequent easy mark. I have a reciever lock, but what good is it, if you can easily get to the ball nut :rolleyes:

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Shadow, I'm So Sorry to hear of your loss, those rat B******s! How low can you get :rolleyes: and this was in broad daylight!? :eek: They must not be locals, I don't think they'd have the b***s to use it around town, they must've been from outta town, but that ramp sounds like a frequent easy mark. I have a reciever lock, but what good is it, if you can easily get to the ball nut :rolleyes:

you guys dont mar the rest of the threads?:confused:

i guess you could also you could also hit it with a welder.

my point is why would you need to take it back off?

if/when you ever need to change it go and have it cut off with a torch, by then its junk anyways right.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

If I wanted your trailer (and was a thief, which I am not), I would just cut the tongue off right behind your gizmo with a battery powered sawzall. Then bolt on a modified coupler that doesn't require any through holes (saddle clamp). I'd be pulling out with it in less than 2 minutes.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

If I wanted your trailer (and was a thief, which I am not), I would just cut the tongue off right behind your gizmo with a battery powered sawzall. Then bolt on a modified coupler that doesn't require any through holes (saddle clamp). I'd be pulling out with it in less than 2 minutes.

Sadly I have to agree... I think the saddle lock is a great idea, and in all honesty it would probably slow down or deter a lot of "spur of the moment" type thieves... I really think thats the point of most locks and anti-theft systems... make the thief go for the easy kill and hopefully the other guy!

But the bottom line is, a determined and knowledgable thief will get what he's after no matter what you do...

I know a buddy of mine who was so pissed about getting a "boot" on his car, he came back with a portable oxy/acetylene torch, and cut the thing off in less than a minute, and left it laying in the street... even half inch thick steel wont stop some people! (and no I don't agree with the legality of this, just using it as an example :) ) Funny thing is, this was in downtown, with tons of people around and no one said a word!

Where there's a will there's a way in most cases. :(

lowell7963

Seaman Apprentice

Lowkee, I like that idea, but I think they cut he pin lock and took the receiver out of the truck. Battery operated saws all, are great inventions, but terror for stuff like catalytic converters, etc.

Probably the best lock would be at the wheels. Surely someone can incorporate a lock into the wheel mechanism.

FSTHUH

Seaman

Man that suck...I have to say that always crosses my mind when I park my truck/trailer after docking the boat...I've bought my boat brand new less than a year ago..and couple of weeks ago...someone hit my trailer and took off after it was parked far away from everyone else. They broke the side marker by the wheel and scuffed the paint...thank god no big damage... It was just enough to ruin the whole weekend...

you don't know what's worse parking close to everyone else..due to my reasons...or far away from everyone due to theft issues...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

you don't know what's worse parking close to everyone else..due to my reasons...or far away from everyone due to theft issues...

Many many years ago my grandmother got hit and run at the mall. Left a baseball sized dent in her door. So we told her to start parking further away. Next week her hubcaps were stolen!

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

While on vacation we often leave the boat at the house and go shopping. I always take the receiver/ball mount out if the hitch because I don't want that stolen while in Walmart buying water toys for the kids.

You should lock that thing in. Around here the kids will pull your receiver pin while you're parked at the ramp lot out on the boat.

-E

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Run a heavy chain through the rim and around the frame. That'll slow them down :)

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

When I park my trailer in un-desirable areas I run a heavy steel chain throung the rims and around the frame like a bike lock on steroids. Chain is hard to cut and the locks are better grade.

jonesg

Admiral

visit the local used boat dealers, there was one in RI buying stolen trailers , they came in handy to get rid of (sell) crappy used boats.

On a valuable trailer I'd consider getting an 18v impact wrench and just remove a wheel, it would take all of 20 seconds.
They'll drag a locked wheel trailer away or even a flat tired.
But if a wheel is gone they'll move on to the next trailer.

But I just wouldn't go to that spot except to sit and wait, let them take it then follow whilst calling the police, no way they can outrun you with a trailer. Find out where it goes and bag em all.