1990 Force by Mercury

fishman24

Recruit
I have a 1990 120 hp force by mercury that I am not getting any spark. I need to know what the voltage is suppose to be out of the rectifier going to the stator/trigger assembly. I have 12 volts going in to the rectifier but the voltage leaving is erratic fluctuaing from 1 volt to 6 to 9 then back to 1 ect. My question is, " What is the voltage suppose to be, and is it suppose a constant 12 volts?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1990 Force by Mercury

The stator generates about 16 volts AC that goes to the rectifier via the yellow wires. The voltage output of the rectifier/regulator is typically 13.5 to 14.5 volt DC on the red wire from the rectifier depending on engine RPM. The rectifier/regulator takes the 16 or so volt AC from the stator, and converts it to DC voltage to charge the battery and run electrical accessories.

When reading stator output on yellow wires, make sure your meter is set to AC volts. When measuring rectifier/regulator output on the red wire, make sure your meter is set to DC volts.

The gray wire from the rectifier/regulator assy is the tach signal to your tachometer.

fishman24

Recruit

thankyou pnwboat for that info. I will test as you say and go from there. Have a wonderful day!!!:)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

HOWEVER: Ignition is a separate and discrete system from the charging system. They are different windings on the stator. The trigger wires do not connect to the rectifier, only the CD boxes. So, if you are not getting any spark, it is not related to the rectifier problem. You have more than one problem.

If you are not getting spark on any cylinder, the first thing to check is to see if the clip is inserted into the dead-man's or man overboard kill switch.

fishman24

Recruit

Thankyou Captain for the info, is it possible to by-pass the man overboard switch? I was trying to start the engine by holding that switch down with my finger, is this not how that switch works and can I just connect the 2 wires to the switch together? Thanks again for all the input.