How to dispose of Fire Extinguisher???

hobbz

Cadet
I just put a new fire extinguisher on my new to me boat, and when I tried to discharge the old one, it wouldn't. I can still feel the powder moving around in it. I tried banging on the ext. with a wood block and still nothing.

So how am I supposed to dispose of it?

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to dispose of Fire Extinguisher???

Sounds like an excellent opportunity for some target practice to me. If you're safe about it. I wouldn't be any closer than 100 yds. Then pick up the pieces and dispose of them in the trash.

hobbz

Cadet

sounds like it is time to break the sks out... I suppose I could try to load it into a clay thrower and practice...haha

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

They don't need to be disposed of, just reset. To reset an extinguisher, carefully pry off the gauge cover. Then rotate the cardboard gauge face until the green "Charged" section lines up with the pointer. Replace the cover and put back into service. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Sounds like an excellent opportunity for some target practice to me. If you're safe about it. I wouldn't be any closer than 100 yds. Then pick up the pieces and dispose of them in the trash.

If it's dry chemical DO NOT DO IT...... It is poisonous:eek:

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

they do make a cool paperweight. did you ask your local fire department their opinion?

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Have you tried letting the garbage guys pick it up :confused:
Dont know about your area but we here pay about a zillion dollars a year for our county to dispose of such things :mad:
BTW- I too used to care :(

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Best bet would be to take to certified extingquisher service co. They can recycle the chemical powder and or recharge the cylinder unless it's a real cheapie.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

If it's dry chemical DO NOT DO IT...... It is poisonous:eek:

Are the contents of a dry-chemical extinguisher toxic?

No. Dry-chemical extinguishers are usually filled with mono-ammonium phosphate, a non-toxic substance. Large amounts of this powder, however, can cause breathing difficulties. If someone has recently used a dry-chemical fire extinguisher, leave the area and call the Fire Service (9-1-1) to ensure that the fire is completely extinguished.

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

109jb is correct. Says right on mine and it's also classified as "nuisance dust".