Sloppy window hinge

wahnamch

Cadet
I hope this is the right forum for this question :redface:

We have a 1984 Cranchi Hobby 190 with a centre "walk-through" window. The hinge (single hinge the entire height of the window with a ling pin through holding both sides together) is really sloppy on both sides. I can't see any way to tighten this up (can't see any screws at all). So I guess it is somehow in a channel or track (which I also can't seem to see).

Any ideas how I can tighten this thing up? The way it is now, we have to push the hinge together to shut the door/window.​

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Sloppy window hinge

When windshields do not close properly we normally look for a deck problem. Do you have pictures to post?

wahnamch

Cadet

When windshields do not close properly we normally look for a deck problem. Do you have pictures to post?
Thanks for the quick response. No, sorry, I don't have pictures (and won't see the boat until the weekend.

I had read all I could find here about this and noticed the tendency towards deck problems. However, the door (not original from what I can tell) closes perfectly if the hinge is pushed into the right position --- a bit snug, maybe, but fine. This is why I want to get the hinge sorted out --- it is REALLY sloppy.​

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

There are hinges sold but it depends on how the old hinge was installed. If it was welded it may be tough.... if it is riveted or bolted there are replacement stainless steel "piano hinges" available.