72' Johnson 125 foot oil question

conwaylale

Recruit
Let me start with my newest problem..... So my electric neutral switch was broke so i put in two switches. both up is forward. both down is reverse and one up one down is neutral. works fine. i am going to eleminate the throttle and just use the controls for starting. my throttle cable was really hard to push down so i got a hot foot. well on the install i messed up my end of the cable.

Now my question is... why is the cable hard to push. Do i need a new one which i will be getting anyway or does it have something to do with the motor. Hope this is understandable. thanks in advance. Any more input someone has on this motor is helpful. CONWAY

Last edited:

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 72' Johnson 125 Hydro electric drive problems

Disconnect the cable at the engine, and see what you've got. That sound's like one confusing way to shift an engine. I've got some little grand kids' that would make me sorry I ever did that. Only one person should be able to shift the engine.

conwaylale

Recruit

thanks for the quick reply. i will do that tommarrow when i get my new cable. Is there any good place to find parts for older motors like mine? CONWAY

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That shift switch come's up a lot on this forum. They must be very hard to find. Just be careful with a setup like that. You no longer can have a working blocking diode wired like that.

conwaylale

Recruit

you lost me with blocking diode. Any way my next question is : How much oil do i put in the foot. I drianed the old and it was nasty and smelled like cat ****. I went to the local boat store and got me some oil they said was good for OMC engines cause it was thinner.it was called premium blend. anyway im pretty sure that i havent put in as much as what came out. So how much is supposed to go in and i guess i know its full when it comes out the top. i can see it gargling at the top when its coming out so i turned it over hoping some would settle and i could get some more in. never happened. turned over and still couldnt fit anymore in. NEED HELP TONIGHT. I want to fish tommarrow and not on the bank. thanks CONWAY