OPPS - I hit mud.

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1975 ish Mercury 115. They lowered the lake level quite a bit, so as I was cruising @ just under 30 mph the motor popped up, revved up and I quickly shut it down. found myself in soft mud. Pushed the boat out, started it and we started to move. Gave it more throttle, engine revved up fine, but didn't move any faster. I'd say we where doing lawnmower speed. Took some time, but we did make it home the 4 miles. Prop looked fine, didn't see any exterior damage. So what damage did I do? Can I fix it myself cause I can easily see my self doing this again? Someplace I can download a PDF file of the lower unit? I can find my way around tools quite well. As a mechanic I'ld rate myself as a 6 out of 10. PS - I wasn't the only one hitting the mud.

cymru

Seaman
Re: OPPS - I hit mud.

You may have damaged the rubber bush in the prop, allowing it to slip. Can be repaired or get a new prop, if that's what it is.

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the link Cowboy. Thats what I needed. Now, can it be as simple as a rubber bushing in the prop. Does make sense. Enough grip to go slow but when more power called for it slips. I guess take the prop to a repair shop for inspection or can the repair be made at home? Or just get a new prop.?

Thanks for the quick replies. Be nice to get the boat back in the water for another weekend of muddin.

Sparky69

Cadet

Well it sounds like you got lucky maybe with just the prop.
I wasn't so lucky when I hit the ground. I snapped my driveshaft so I got no movement and no waterflow. But I was lucky to have a trolling motor and two batts for it on my toon that got me home but ever so slowly. Now I am just waiting for some experts to answer my questions on my post.:(