1989 VIP Victory worth saving?

superbenk

Commander
Over my vacation I was given the opportunity to take a 1989 VIP Victory for free to repair/restore. It's in fair condition, but the decking is soft, carpet shot & most importantly, the motor won't spark. I've been told that it was running well until a summer or two ago when it wouldn't start and they couldn't get it to spark. I'm not sure how far into repairing it they've gotten, but as it sits, it won't spark. I believe they've tried a new coil, but that might be it.

It has a 4.3L OMC Cobra. Is this something that's worth considering? I'll post pics soon.

airmail

Seaman
Re: 1989 VIP Victory worth saving?

Nice looking boat. Looks like a rodent has been living in the engine compartment. I would look for chewed wires.

cr2k

Captain

Pull the distributor cap and replace the points.
Most common cause of no spark. Also check for corrosion in the distributor and cap and make sure the centrifugal advance works by twisting the rotor, if it dont twist you need to remove the breaker plate and clean and lube the fly weights.

For sure worth saving.

Also replace the impeller. Super easy on a cobra.

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take it that is SWEET and you can't beat the price. I always liked the lines on those boats.

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unless you would like a project boat, for the money your going to put into it getting it running again you could probably buy a boat that would be alot less effort...

superbenk

Commander

Unless you would like a project boat, for the money your going to put into it getting it running again you could probably buy a boat that would be alot less effort...

That's partially my concern. This past year we spent a lot of time restoring the 1980 Century 190 I have linked in my signature. That boat was from the same place (a camp I grew up at). I'd either have to sell the current boat or trade it back to the camp and take on the VIP since I don't have room at home for 2 boats.

The other problem is that the camp the VIP is at is 6 hrs from my house so I can't just pop up there and fiddle with it for a weekend to see if it's worth pursuing. Some of the previous comments make me think it could be a really nice boat though, so I'm still on the fence.

My goal is to someday replace the Century with a more modern bowrider. I'm getting nervous that the OMC Stringer in the Century won't be reliable forever.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Are you considering this project as therapy?

MikDee

Banned

Where is this camp? If it's not that far, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for free! :D

superbenk

Commander

Are you considering this project as therapy?

The 1980 Century was somewhat therapeutic, but more driven by the pure desire to get on the water cheap :) It was far from cheap, though. Between my dad & I (we're co-owners), we've probably dumped around $2k into it & the trailer. It has been a great project though.

superbenk

Commander

Where is this camp? If it's not that far, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for free! :D

I think the free offer has more to do with my ties to the camp than anything else. Though I do know they're thinking of putting a few of the old broken boats they have lying around out for sale cheap at some point. If they do, I'll have to let you know :) Probably along the lines of best offer/get it out of here so we don't have to dispose of them :)

The boat I got & the others they still have (including the VIP) were donated to the camp by others over the years.

FYI, the camp is in upstate NY on Canandaigua Lake.