Bad spark knock....help

k-dog

Recruit
I have a 1995, 29 foot Scarab with twin Mercruisers 350 mags., the port side motor blew and i rebuilt it. After a break-in period and a few more runs it suddenly developed a bad spark knock. I have turned the timing all around and can't get it out. I switched the knock sensor and the knock module with the other engine but it didn't follow the motor.

Any suggestions.

I was wondering if it could even be mechanical like jumped valve timing or something. I don't mind pulling the motor but want to know the problem is inside bofore I do.

Please help.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bad spark knock....help

spark knock usually indicates a lean condition, or as you have checked, a timing issue. seems like timing might be ok, so check the carb. or possibly vacuum leak. sounds like one way or another, there is too much air getting into motor.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

So why did the port motor originally blow??? and why is it on the verge of blowing again.... Somehow I bet the 2 are related....

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Sounds like a Fuel Delivery Issue hasn't been dealt with yet...

k-dog

Recruit

Thank you for all of your suggestions I will look into them all.

The first motor failure was unrelated to this issue, it simply just dropped a valve.

I will check for vaccum leaks.

After I switch the distributors the carbs were going to be next... that should answer that question.

Again thank you!!