Zodiac CFR airfloor "heaves"

I have a 2004 Zodiac CFR 310 with an inflatable airfloor. Sometimes, as I'm powering along with my 9.8hp outboard, the floor seems to "heave". It's hard to describe, but feels (to the feet) that the airfloor is moving up and down. Not enough to capsize the boat, but it can be alarming, especially to someone who has never been on an inflatable airfloor Zodiac before. This seems to happen in various water conditions, even totally calm and flat water. Is this an inflation issue? Any ideas? Thanks!

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Zodiac CFR airfloor "heaves"

It sounds exactly like an underinflation issue. Either with the floor itself or the tubes. Keep in mind that most airpumps won't give you the PSI you need to properly inflate the floors on these boats. Get yourself a gauge and check it out, then get a quality manual pump to get the proper inflation pressure.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Mercury airdeck does the same thing, and I know the tubes and floor are properly inflated as my pump has a guage. You definately get less of this when things are properly inflates, but I think its just the nature of the beast. Seems mine does it as it gets up over its bow wave. Does it more with more people in the boat.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Air Floor Issues

Air Floor Issues

No matter how hard you inflate your floor, it can be up to 10 psi, you will experiment that rocking feeling, is part of the portability lighter boat issue as opposed to a non rocking wooden or alum floor much heavier boat. So deal with it, do not sit on tubes, try air floor top and feel which 2 positions is more confortable to you. Inflate your sib and floor to its full working pressure with high pressure pump.

The only air floors that rocks least are the Zodiacs more proffessional and costly sibs which has thicker floor fabrics as compared to thinner standard air floors.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Air Floor Issues

Air Floor Issues

You will experiment more rocking floor issues on choppy seas, you can place a thick carpet on air floor top to lessen rocking heaves, but definitely it's the nature of the beast as stated by AaronG

Happy Boating

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

My Saturn did exactly the same thing until I was more careful with inflation. I use an electric pump with an automatic cut off, and top off every day.

fastroller

Cadet

With a zodiac fastroller inflating the speed tubes and keel to proper pressure after inflating the floor and tubes makes the floor even more rigid and pretty much eliminates floor "heaves." Load distribution in the boat can also affect the "heaves."