Hanging it up!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
As I approach my 70th birthday I feel it is time to say ?bye? to the iBoats boating forums which has been a source of entertainment and opportunity for me for the last six years. This is truly the best boating forum on the web. Be assured I have no gripe against iBoats, the forums, the moderators, or those who stopped in for advice ? it is just time for me to move on. I build and fly R/C airplanes, I fish, travel and am active in the community so it is not as though I have nothing else to do. I hope my comments and suggestions were generally helpful.

While some may not have liked my specific approach in dealing with people?s boat problems, I think if you really analyze what I was doing in those instances you will see that my approach was to ?educate? rather than just providing a yes or no answer to a question. In other words trying to get people to think a little bit rather than just look for a quick answer. Unless one knows why you should or should not use a specific technique or perform a specific operation that person doesn?t learn and is going to be back to ask a similar question again. My suggestion to all boaters ? new, old, and in between is to ?learn your boat and its systems and learn them well. That starts by obtaining a service manual for your engine and drive system. You cannot effectively troubleshoot something you know nothing about. A basic understanding of the vessel and its systems may someday save your life and the lives of everyone aboard the vessel.

So to everyone, I say Thank You for the entertainment and ?boat safely?. To iBoats, you provide a very valuable service to the boating public. Congratulations on a job well done.

Silvertip

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: Hanging it up!

You've helped me on several occasions -
I hate this will be my last "Thank You" :(

ziggy

Admiral

darn. :(, you'll be missed st. your comments and suggestions were always more than generally helpful.
i looked forward to hearing what you'd have to say as you've earned my respect as a very knowledgeable sailor..
good luck with your future endeavors..

CATransplant

Admiral

You'll be sorely missed. I'll try to help out more in the Other Outboards section.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

I wish you the best in your continued adventures ( but just stop in to post fish pictures :D )

I would also like to thank you for your help.

Good luck in all you do
Jeff

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for all the great post that you left us! I am sure that you have probably forgotton more about boats than I know.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You'll be missed, but I think you'll be sneaking back in here on occasion.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

One of the most valuable things we have here are people willing to teach and explain. While I understand your decision.... :( I would not like you to vanish from iboats.

Silvertip, please carry along my best wishes and you will always be in our prayers. Stop in from time to time and say hello. I guess I am asking you not to stop but stay around in the background. Keep us up on what's going on ;)

You have a PM and I will sticky this post.

Bob

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

$50 bet you can't stay away. i can't. thanks for all the great knowledge you have shared.

MikDee

Banned

Silvertip, Sorry to see you go, you have contributed a lot of good knowledge here, Good Luck in the future. Mlke

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

LOL! While my bet is that TD is right, I'll wish you well. Go fly some RC airplanes! In fact, come back once in awhile and post some pics of whatever your latest airplane project is - there are a few airplane nuts like me around here!

BTW, your thoughts about service manuals is spot on. I am fighting with a repair to my Chevy Astro right now. Why? Because I can't find a decent service manual, unless I spend a bundle on a real Chevrolet document.

QC

Supreme Mariner

While I can respect your decision not to post anymore I guess I'll never understand why some choose all or nothing . . . :confused: We've had our debates for sure, but I hope like others we see you again. Good luck with the cool toys.

Kevin :)

a70eliminator

Captain

Silvertip I never knew, Does a Weeks Special powerd by Saito 300 ring a bell. Flying is just so enjoyable especially for retired fella.

southtexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ST, thanks for sharing your wisdom with all of us...I'm sure we've all learned something from you along the way!!

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Experience...is priceless!

You'll be missed....

God speed, silvertip!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks and good luck, have fun with your other interests. I know you have helped me out a number of times. Be very assured it is appreciated!

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thank you Silvertip. Count me in as one of those who hopes you still drop by once in a while.