mercruiser mcm 165 water in oil

Alterd88

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry posted this in the wrong area the first time. i have a mcm165 with sludge in oil throughout motor except in cylinders and coolant paths. going to reaplce head gasket set and have heads redone i.e. valves reseated and heasd checked. i did find a bad intake gasket. any suggestions

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercruiser mcm 165 water in oil

Ayuh,... Is this the 165 6 cylinder or the 165 4 cylinder,..??

Sludge is Usually a Cracked block...

Alterd88

Seaman Apprentice

i did find the intake gasket to be bad also u still think block?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Try it,+ See....

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Having just replaced a 165 head gasket, I would strongly recommend that you use a genuine OEM Mercruiser head gasket ($51). I have read, and believe the Merc gaskets are engineered specifically for the 470 engines. I know that the one I purchased has extra beads of (silicone?) material on it to seal the water passages (not on the original head gasket). That is one place where I would not try to save money. Good luck.

Alterd88

Seaman Apprentice

i bought a head gasket set from sierra and got everything back together runs good temp stays at 120 with the muffs connected at idle one thing i cant find is the hose to the valve cover to air cleaner i know that helps with the pressure like a pcv valve i plan on running some sludge remover through it, and changing the oil again. i removed the valve cover, after i let the motor run for about total an hour, to retorque the heads and there was alittle sludge on the valve cover none on the head, can that be due to the hose? any suggestions would help thanks.