antique trailers

zboot69

Cadet
i have an antique boat trailer that i was restoring. i was wondering if anyone knew about putting the old trailers on the road. This one is a 50's gator but it only came with one breake light on the left that was also a liscense plate light. Can i get it grandfathered in kinda light the old harley with no directionals? the trailer is almost all original so the old light on it would look cool.

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: antique trailers

You could always rig a set of rear lights on magnets or hangers that are removable for shows but I think it's like seat belts, some antique cars had no seat belts when you drive then your not required to wear them. Phone your DMV.

Alphawolf45

Cadet

I rather have more brake lights and turn signals rather than fewer..Got to wake up the person following you who is either texting or has cell phone to their ear.There so many more people on the road today and they are too many of them are distracted that 'looking cool with one little tail lite" just doesnt outweigh the serious circumstances we have to drive through..YMMV

Bondo

Staff member

Can i get it grandfathered in kinda light the old harley with no directionals?

Nope,... Not anywhere that I'm aware of....

Shizzy

Ensign

FYI, the registration on my boat trailer has no year on it. so I would doubt you could do it.

woosterken

Lieutenant

check with the DMV about historical plate,if it only had one lite from the factory in it's time it would be historicly correct
just like a modle a ford

woosterken

Shrub88

Seaman Apprentice

This one is a 50's gator but it only came with one breake light on the left that was also a liscense plate light.
Oh man, does that bring back memories. My Dad also had a mid-50's Gator with the same setup, the single light had a double wire with alligator clips that you hooked up to the boat battery and the left light was just steady burning. The Mississippi Trooper that stopped us one night back in the 70's didn't like that single light and no turn signal. When my Dad told him this was the factory setup and it was legal, he said he still didn't like it but he let us go. We converted to full trailer wiring and lights a few years later because we ran I-10 a lot. Wish I still had that old trailer!

Can i get it grandfathered in kinda light the old harley with no directionals? the trailer is almost all original so the old light on it would look cool.
On antique vehicles without turn signals and stop lights, I think you are supposed to be using hand signals when turning and stopping. Will the boat keep somebody behind from seeing your hand signal? Probably will. This really is a question for your DMV. What state are you in? You could Google your state motor vehicle code and see what it says. Just need to check your local law and see if an exemption exists for older trailers. I would keep the single light if I could depending on where you drive it and how far and if it could be done reasonably safely. If you are traveling on multi-lane interstate highways, then I would say you need full lighting with turn signals; staying local would probably be fairly safe. How far will you be going with it?

scipper77

Commander

I want to see a picture! of both the trailer and the tail light.

zboot69

Cadet

i have a few pictures under a different forum... you should be able to find them if you just type gator trailer under search. ive only seen one other picture like this trailer... has a double hitch set up acting as a tilt trailer. if you unbolt the bottom one then it looks like a regular trailer. right now i have a 1955 feathercraft penguin on it which is only a 11 ft semi vhull rowboat, but its great for fishing. with a full size silverado im not worried about someone not seeing my lights, plus the trailer is bright yellow with black trim work (if this rain ever stops in New England so i can finish up the paint job). its a really nice set up for a collectors peice and i wouldnt mind getting pulled over if its legal lol keep them on their toes... if theres nothing illegal about one tail light that was factor standards back in the 50's. i dont go far with the boat anyways