Lost my ignition key to start motor

1rawdawg007

Seaman Apprentice
Whats up boat bro's ?
Hey I lost my ignition key to my Mercruiser 1150 outboard ,:mad: its about a 1976...
How do I get a replacement ? Do I have to have a new key cut by a locksmith, or is there some kind of info located on the control I can relay to a dealer to get a replacement ? Or do I get my drill out and ........well, I dont want to go there if I dont have to.
Thanking you in advance for your help.......

jriegle04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Lost my ignition key to start motor

it sounds to me that a replacement ignition is in order. it should come with a new key.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, order a new ignition and drill out your old one until it arrives.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a 72 Glastron, with a 75 MErc 80hp ob. Lost the key. I went to the marina, and they looked up something in a book, and gave me a key from a drawer. I'm not sure how the keys are coded, but i think there are certain styles of keys available, I still remember mine was a "2b" - all a dealer should need is a number on your ignition box, and may be able to look it up.... $5.00 for a new key.

1rawdawg007

Seaman Apprentice

Right on !!
Thanks for the quick responses !!
I'm going to get at least two keys...lol.
Usually the day after I re-key something, I find it...
Maybe I will pretend I got a replacement and...........nah..
Going out to start on it...
Helped by a forum .....again

Moody Blue

Captain

You will have to remove the controller from its mount and remove the back plate. The ignition switch should (hopefully) have a key code sticker on it, probably a 3 digit number. My 1971 controller had a 6 digit number like A15015.

Take that number to any Merc dealer or repair shop and you can get yourself the replacement key(s). There were only a few dozen kinds ever made.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There are about 10 keys for that merControl. If you take the boat to a Merc dealer, it will take him a couple of minutes to find the key that fits.

1rawdawg007

Seaman Apprentice

OMG, I took control apart and Im glad I did,,, the wires going to the switch had started shedding the insulation from them.. from being heated up when it was soldered in '76 at factory.
It could have been really bad news if I had a key. Somebody is lookin out for me.
I removed the switch and am taking it to a local dealer to get a key. I may just get a switch with a key, so I dont have to deal with desoldering all the wires off, as its hard on the switch.
When I get home I will get to the fresh insulation and strip the wires and re-connect everything. :D

Moody Blue

Captain

Yep, common problem with the insulation. I completely redid all the wiring in my controller this past spring.

The black "waterproofing" that Merc applied over all the terminals can be readily cleaned off with varsol or paint thinners and a tooth brush. They clean up like new once that crap is cleaned off. Don't attempt to solder to the terminals until they are thoroughly cleaned otherwise you won't get a good solder joint.

Before ripping everything out, pay particular attention to where and how the wires are routed. As you can see, things are VERY tight in there. Every wire has a specific place and routing.