1977 evinrude 85 water pump question

I have a 1977 evinrude 85. I already took the foot off and saw that it needed a new water pump. I ordered one and it will be here tomorrow. I couldnt find a manual around here and its gonna take awhile if i order one so i had a few questions. When i put the new impller in the water pump housing which way do the fins need to be bent. Is there any special steps that i need to take when reassembling the water pump or lower unit. Which way does the half moon key go back in the shaft. Im very mechanically inclined but there are certain things you wont know unless you have a manual. I have surfed the internet looking for a step by step to this but no luck. IF any one has a manual on this and could tell me if there are any speciaql steps that need to be taken that would be great. Or if someone could steer me in the direction of a website that shows a steb by step or pages out of the manual that wold be great. I really appreciate any information that can be given. I also want to know the best way to get rid of all the sand in the lower unit can i use a water hose or will it get in the oil. T hanks alot

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1977 evinrude 85 water pump question

The following link has some general instructions for water pump replacement:

http://www.myoutboardparts.com/johnson/evinrude/impeller,installation

The only somewhat unusual thing about your motor is that there are two separate water tubes that fit into the pump housing on these vintage of OMC V4s. When reassembling, it is important that the two tubes are guided into the proper location. This is done with the two plastic sleeves that serve as guides for the water tubes. Upon reassembly, press these guide sleeves into the water pump housing. Without the guide sleeves in place, it would be almost impossible to get the water tubes to mate properly with the pump housing.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I replaced the pump on my '73 85 without consulting the manual. You shouldn't have any problems (I'm not real technical). The key will only fit one way I believe. And don't forget it! When I did mine I was literally tightening the last bolt on the lower unit when it dawned on me that I had forgotten the key!!!! Damn!! Determine which direction the motor turns and the fins on the impeller should go the opposite way. They are a pain to install in the housing. And as mentioned make sure you get the 2 water tubes lined up correctly when you reinstall the foot.

I looked in the upper housing and saw the two tubes you are referring too. Am i supposed to pull those out and place them into the water pump housing before i put it all back together. I just left them in the upper housing because i didnt know if they came out or not. Thanks alot for your help

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't think they come out. You just want to line them up with the holes in the pump housing when reinstalling the leg.

McGR

They do come off... They are probably on the water tubes inside of the exhaust housing. Just slide them off and stick them in the water pump housing before you reinstall the L/U.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I assumed you were talking about the actual metal water tubes themselves. I believe there were short plastic sleeves as well that help line everything up. Yeah those come out.

Thanks for all thehelp im just ready to get this thing back together

McGR

The image below shows the plastic guide tubes I am referring to. The two metal tubes remain in the exhaust housing.

yea i see now the plastic tubes were slid up the metal tubes so i was looking at the metal tubes and they wouldnt come off but i reached up and grabed the plastic ones and they slid off im glad BRP has these schematics from 77 or i would be screwed.

Water pump is working like a charm now. Thanks to this forum all my questions were answered and made the reassembly easy. Also thanks to this forum i know have a tell tale so now i cans see that the water pump is working.