What can you tell me about my Bayliner?

Unseenthings

Cadet
1980 25ft Bayliner I picked up for $500 Was told it was on the water 2 years ago and then winterized. I hope to see if it starts this weekend. Would like to hear from those who have owned something similar. What is this model called, how good or bad of boat is it, how much money is it worth putting into, what parts can be had for it(not the engine/out drive) (Roof?)
Thanks
Brian
After getting it in good running shape thinking of doing a new floor first, then new upolstry, then new paint?
How hard is it to paint something this big?
Thanks
Brian

Side.jpg

Rear.jpg

Engine.jpg

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What can you tell me about my Bayliner?

I'm pretty sure that is the Victoria model. Just to verify call Bayliner @
360.435.8957 with your HIN. They might even sent you a copy of the owners manual if available.
Any boat that is close to 30 years old is gonna' have issues. Stringer rot, transom rot, etc.
Luck is on your side as far as any mechanical issues that may arise. Every part from your lower unit to the motor is available on the net.
You mentioned the "roof". Just what are you referring to? Is the topside rotting out?
As far as painting is concerned it all depends how handy you are with either a spray gun or painting in general. Painting a boat is a far cry from painting a house. We can get into that later.
Just get her mechanically fit first then concern yourself with the cosmetics.
Also, be prepared to spent a LOT more money then you anticipated - please don't ask me how I know that. :eek:

Unseenthings

Cadet

Like I said, good running shape first, I just don't know if its worth putting 3-4k into it, or if I should clean it up and sell it and try again.

By roof I ment a fabric cover for the back half, like this
BaylinerCamperCanvas1.jpg

BaylinerCamperCanvas2.jpg

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

If the motor and drive check out OK then I'd be tempted to keep her and piddle a liitle as I went along. Your 'roof' or enclosure will set you back a pretty penny but every now and then a good used one will come along on C/L or ebay.
You can paint the entire hull for $400.00 to $500.00 in materials - and that's being a tad bit steep. ( if you do it yourself with single pack paint ).
She looks like a keeper to me - but what do YOU want in a boat.
Make darn sure you check out the stringers and transom for rot. After I got it running that would be the very next mission to tackle.
Keep us up to speed.