prop size for speed

sgajan

Seaman
I did a search and didnt get the info I am needing
I have a 1988 four winns 160 freedom with the 3.0 engine and omc outdrive.
I am looking for the correct size and pitch prop to get the most speed from my boat with 4 adults on board. can someone recommend the right prop size for me?

hwsiii

Commander
Re: prop size for speed

If it has 1.86:1 gear ratio you need a 17" pitch prop.

H

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Hi H, not doubting your numbers but...don't these 3.0s usually run a 19 or 21 for speed.17 seems light for what is probably a relatively light boat.
I know a 21 surely won't have much hole shot but he's talking speed.
I,m just going seat of the pants and youve got the numbers just wondering how come?

hwsiii

Commander

Steele, I never make a mistake, UNLESS I am breathing. LOL ;)
I show his boat to have a 1.86:1 gear ratio and if that is right the program says a 17" pitch with a 3,000 pound allup weight. With just 1 person I show a 19" pitch, but just barely on the edge of a 19" pitch, it is the difference in weight in a small boat that makes the pitch change to 17" steele. Carrying 4 people with a 19" pitch he would be right at 4,200 RPM or less and since he said 4 people I am trying to get him to the top of his RPM which I think is where he produces about max HP. Hope this makes sense with my logic. Here are the numbers.

Boat and Motor

sgajanBoatandMotor.jpg

Prop Picker 1 Person

sgajanPropPicker1Person.jpg

Prop Picker 4 People

sgajanPropPicker.jpg

H

sgajan

Seaman

WOW you guys really know your props. So im looking for a 17 pitch prop then? Is there a specific diameter I am looking for also? Or does it not matter? I am truly clueless on ordering a prop size. Thanks for the help so far!

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer

diameter means very little. has to do with how each company designs props.
most cases were talking 1/4". at the top of this page in the blue bar click on boat propellers and select motor and then 17" pitch and there'll be a bunch to choose from. ranging from 91$-479$

sgajan

Seaman

Great thanks. The whole reason I am asking about this is I just got the boat When i took it out i noticed the rpm's were up pretty good but it was only going about 28mph.

sgajan

Seaman

right now i am not sure. i dont see any numbers stamped on it.

hwsiii

Commander

Take the prop off and look behind the nut or at the other end of the prop.

H