carb leaking fuel

pprowler

Recruit
Hi all
Sorry if this has been answered before, I have a 1985 115 Mercury inline 6 with three WMK 41 carbs (1A, 2A, 3A). The top carb (WMK 41-1A) leaks fuel at the orfice above the float bowl. Dealer suggested to use canned air to back flush, this worked sometimes. Now it does not help. Is it the carb float or the choke/enricher?

thanks for the help.
prowler

Ware5150

Seaman Apprentice
Re: carb leaking fuel

I am no master mechanic but have done a lot of work on mine. Where exactly is the fuel coming from. Is the brass air hole on top of the bowl? Sounds like you may have a float that is sticking or a needle that is worn.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Prowle, that orfice is likely the back drag jet. The carb is flooding. Remove the top of the carb and check the float for deteoriation or cracking. Make sure the little spring is intact. Replace the inlet needle, gasket and seat and the float if necesary. Reset the float level.

pprowler

Recruit

Thanks to all. Yes it is the brass orfice at the top of the fuel bowl on the top carb. Does the carb(s) have to be removed from the engine to check or change the float?

OkcOffRoader

Cadet

i only had to remove the starter to get to mine to replace the floats on my 85HP Merc....my upper float was split around the upper part where its glued together and full of gas, so it was spraying fuel out of the same hole.....i lucked out and found two new floats at a lakeside mechanic out in the sticks for 11 bucks each....my motor purrs now..

Ware5150

Seaman Apprentice

It all depends on position. If you can remove the float bowl cover without removing the carb then you are ok. One thing though you might need to replace the gasket if worn. I just bough gasket material and cut out my own.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

PProwler, You will need to remove the starter to get ot the carb covers. if you are careful, you can save the bowl cover gasket. Use a 1/4" (or 5/16") nut driver to remove the carb cover bolts.

gasket kits are <$5 for that carb.