OMC 800 stringer out drive shifting problem.

AltonR

Seaman Apprentice
I recently replaced the quadra jet carb with an Edlebrock 4barrel conventional bore. The chevy 5.7 litre engine starts and runs ok but seems to hold the shift lever in gear until you kill the engine, I replaced the kill switch to no effect. The Carb linkage had to be modifed to fit the new carb I'm wondering if the linkages of the two are integrated in some way that throws the shifting off. It shifted ok before the carb was installed. Rich

Last edited:

WizeOne

Commander
Re: OMC 800 stringer out drive shifting problem.

AltonR, it's always good to state exactly what you are working on. All OMC stringers were not created equal.

WizeOne

Commander

To 1977, electric shift outdrive. 1978-80, hydromechanical outdrive. 1981-85, full mechanical outdrive! Stringers all. The last two are both 800's but considerably different.

AltonR

Seaman Apprentice

I have an 85 Cobalt so the drive shift linkage would be fully mechanical. I still wonder if the shift and the carburator linkage are some how interdependent? Rich

WizeOne

Commander

Your '85 full mechanical shift outdrive does require the interupt switch to be able to pull it out of gear. When you say 'kill' switch, are you talking about the shift interupt switch on the face of the shift converter box?

Installing a new carb and modifying the linkage and throttle cable should have no effect on those but yet it sounds like that is what is happening. I have not had 'hands on' those switches to advise but I would consult the manual to be sure they are being activated when you try to pull it out of gear. All they do is stutter ground your ignition to take pressure of the gears that are designed to fail in gear not out.

I hear say that you should be able to pull it out of gear, at an idle, on muffs when the prop is not in the water, even without the interupt. Not totally sure if that is true for the stringer shift interupt or just for other brands' electronic interupts.

AltonR

Seaman Apprentice

WiseOne, yes I'm sure we're talking about the same **** devise. I bought a new one for 65 dollars plus shipping. Still acts the same and won't shift out of gear. I'll see the mechanic today so we will check continuity. The boat shifted fine pre carb and back then while under or not under load. If no other problems crop up it should be ready for the water once the shift problem is cured. I'll post the fix! Thanks for your help!! Rich

Last edited: