1988 chrysler/force trim and tilt problems

tdldlt

Recruit
I am having trouble with my tilt and trim- put boat in the water this weekend done fine-- until we tried to put the boat back on the trailer- The trim would not work motor seemed to go out- well we bought the motor put it on and now it still is not moving the motor up or down!!!! It has power makes a running sound- has trim oil in and will push it out - I think we might need the pump but I am not sure -- I hate to put any more money in this thing until I know what is wrong- Someone please help -- Thanks

RRitt

Captain
Re: 1988 chrysler/force trim and tilt problems

if trim motor is not spinning then relay or wiring is bad. If motor spinning then almost always valve body but sometimes (as in, rarely) rusted bypass valve in tilt ram.

kevinpy

Recruit

I have an 87 or 89 85 horse that the motor slowly drops in a few minutes. What do you suggest? is it worth trying to replace seals or simply send it for repair? What do you charge/do for rebuild??

Thanks,

Kevin

RRitt

Captain

I have an 87 or 89 85 horse that the motor slowly drops in a few minutes. What do you suggest? is it worth trying to replace seals or simply send it for repair? What do you charge/do for rebuild??

Thanks,

Kevin

If 89 send in whole pump. Ask for valve body rebuild and new motor seals.
If 87 the just valve body and wait for motr to have problems.

89 uses orings to seal motor. Easy to replace and adds another 5 years or so. 87 uses gaskets. By the time you take apart to clean gasket face then you may as well do full rebuild. Valve body is bad DIY project. Steep learning curve, impossible to find parts, unforgiving tolerances. Costs anywhere from $120 to $180 to do valve body and seals. Depends upon year and design of your pump.

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have same problem with Force/Chrysler 85HP motor and I think it is 1989. If move the motor all the way up it slowly comes back down. I was told it was probably a seal, but are there other things that can cause this besides seal?Purchased this boat had been sitting for 4 years, checked gear oil, no water or metal shards looked very good.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

...eek

three different hits on the same problem to the OP. its a nasty topic for sure. I'll repost a thread that talks to the many creepy facets of this problem. there is also a link within the link that shows what the guts of these pesky assemblys look like.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=260430

good luck to those who try and succeed in making them work as new.

foodfisher

Captain

Sent mine to RRitt. Works as expected. 20+ future years of up and down. Thanks

jbwillis76

Seaman Apprentice

I, too, just received mine back from RRitt and it works perfectly now. I have/had several units and messed with them, swapping parts, attempting rebuilds, for the last 6 months with no success. Wish I had sent mine to RRitt earlier. I highly recommend him to anyone with trim/tilt problems.

James

RRitt

Captain

Thanks for the kind words. It makes me feel good to know that you're happy.

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought that the seals were in the lower unit but are you saying the seals are in the tilt/trim motor? When I asked the mechanic what it would cost to replace seal to fix he said it would cost a couple of hundred dollars.

RRitt

Captain

I have same problem with Force/Chrysler 85HP motor and I think it is 1989. If move the motor all the way up it slowly comes back down. I was told it was probably a seal, but are there other things that can cause this besides seal?Purchased this boat had been sitting for 4 years, checked gear oil, no water or metal shards looked very good.

Bleed down is almost always the valve body. Which is the round thing on bottom of trim motor that is held in place with four screws. It usually has four oil tubes attached to it but on some models there are only two oil tubes. To remove it from your engine disregard manual. Manual was written in a perfect world where the mechanics had all the tools and never worked on saltwater boats. Lift engine. Block into place. Remove trim up tube from bottom of pump. remove tilt up tube from front side of VB. remove trim down tube from 5 sided trim ram cover. remove tilt down tube from side of tilt ram. undo three bolts holding pump onto transom bracket. remove pump assembly from engine complete with two attached tubes. put pump upside down in bench vice. remove two remaining tubes. remove four VB screws. dump out old oil. wipe dry. take to professional hydraulics place for repair.

Unless you drive around with your finger on trim switch the trim motor hardly ever gets used. So it never wears out. Generally speaking, your trim motor will last for 100 years or until water gets inside. Whichever comes first. Water gets in because the cable jacket cracks and moisture creeps along wires ... or because the rubber seals get old and crack ... or because the collar rusts and the rust creates microscopic crevaces that moisture can follow to get past seals. Putting new seals on motor can keep water out for another 5-10 years depending upon current condition. The typical motor loses moisture tightness at around 20 years.

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i was just considering sending it to you for repair after I read your post. I really do not have any experience with boat or car motors and the boat is on a lift on water. I am a small person and usually have a hard time getting bolts, screws and nuts off of things, so i may not be able to send to you unless i can get somebody to help me. When we first purchased it and put the motor in up position to transport on trailer the motor would come down much quicker and I notice it takes it longer to bleed down. Also, should I change out the oil for trim motor. We have already changed out gear oil for the lower unit. If i am able to send to you how much do you think it would cost? The motor is 85HP US marine force i think 1989.