Strange alarm

musella

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2005 mercruiser 5.0l engine.. with a strange problem: I get an occasional alarm. Started a few months ago. Happens maybe every other time I take the boat out. Some trips no alarm, some trips it would sound as soon as I start the engine and then go away after a minute or 2, other times it doesn't happen when I first start, but happens after driving for an hour or 2, then goes out after a few minutes..

Most of the time, it isn't the loud alarm you hear when the ignition switch is turned on before the engine starts. Sometimes it is so low it can bearly be heard. Very rarely it get loud for a few seconds.

I had my mechanic look at it twice in the last few weeks (I had problems from all of the rain - the wires got wet and burnt out the coil twice. Second time they replaced the wires and coil). Of course, the alarm didn't sound when he was around.

He showed me how to disconnect the temperature and drive lube sensors when it happens, to see which one it is.. It happened again today and I disconnected both (one at a time), and it did not stop the alarm.. so it isn't those sensors..
What else can it be? All gauges appear normal.

musella

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Strange alarm

OK. Let me ask this a different way..
I searched the forums and couldn't find it...

Can anyone post pictures of where all of the sensors are on a mercruiser that can trigger the alarm?

dannycommander

Recruit

I have 2007 496ho when it goes to 3000rpm beep constant then loosing power if I keep it down to 1200rpm it s ok my water temp is 170, oil pressure is 30 @ 1200rpm . does anybody have this exper please help. Thank you

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Welcome aboard Danny! You need to start a thread of your own in order to get some help.

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could it be the depth gauge?? Do you have one in the boat??

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your engine has an electronic control module (ECM), get a scan tool and see why the ECM's not happy..