How much drive lube should I use up?

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK I just got my boat. It is a 2002 195 Bayliner with a 4.3 V6 with an Alpha One Drive. It has 66 hours on it. I have had a 50 Force outboard and a Ski Nautique so this is my first I/O. My question is I went out yesterday and the boat ran perfect (it is a little different trying to keep a set speed when pulling someone as opposed to our Nautique, but practice makes perfect!).

Anyways when I got home and put it away I noticed that the Drive Lube in the monitor bottle was about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch lower then we started out with. Is this normal or should I be WORRIED? Again I have never owned an I/O so I want to make sure I am on top of everything as far as catching something from the get go. I am not sure how much should be used if any. We were out for about 6 hours and had at least 3 hours of running around and wakeboarding if that matters any? There is no oil anywhere that I can see on the outdrive or at the bottom of the boat. Thanks in advance guys!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: How much drive lube should I use up?

considering it`s a somewhat sealed system , no loss is allowable

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Has someone recently checked or changed the outdrive oil? Or has someone recently pulled the outdrive for other work? Could it have just gone down slightly due to--- not having properly serviced the outdrive to full (using the service plugs) after the work was done?

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well it was serviced last year after a summer of use and then he sold it to me. All the fluids are fresh and I had thought the same thing as far as it not being full when it was serviced. I read the manual and it says that there will be a fluctuation in the monitor bottle when in use and it should be checked when it is cold and not in use for an accurate reading. Does it matter the trim agle as far as what shows in the bottle??

Oh one more thing since I do not know what type of lube is in there can I add Mecruiser Premium Lube or do I need to have the whole thing changed out again?

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Shot in the dark: Is it possible some type of thermal expansion or contraction caused this?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If the drive is serviced correctly, the level will drop a little as the small bubbles are "burped' up into the reservoir as it runs.

Once all the air is out of the system the level (in the drive lube reservoir) should not change much. It might take a few hours for all the air to rise to the top.

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the drive is serviced correctly, the level will drop a little as the small bubbles are "burped' up into the reservoir as it runs.

Once all the air is out of the system the level (in the drive lube reservoir) should not change much. It might take a few hours for all the air to rise to the top.

COOL! Well I will keep my fingers crossed! Thanks for all the info guys. Now if it keeps getting low there is a leak, but if I do not notice it on the floor from the drive itelf I read it might be from the bellows? Is that correct? What kind of repair is that money wise and how will I know if that is what it is?? Where else could it be? Do I just fill it with Mercruiser Premium Lube? I do not know what is in there now as I just got the boat.

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

So really there is no way for me to tell the difference between the 2. I will need to change it out right??:confused:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well,

My first question might be when was it changed last, and/or was it changed at the end of the last season?

If you cannot answer either question. (either by draining a little and just looking at it....I.E it's obvious it's been in there more than a year),

Then yes, you should change it.

Mercury recommends that you change it every 100hrs or once a year which ever occurs first.

You should change it at the end of the season (when you would park it for winter or other extended time).

That way, if it did leak some water into the oil you'd discover the problem early AND you would NOT let it sit for that extended period of time with water inside.

Now I'll also add that if it's synthetic oil it has a very distinctive smell when compared to regular mineral type hypoid gear lubricant.....

Oh, and by the way, you can use Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil, Amsoil marine gear oil, VP syn gear oil, and of course Mercury HP gear oil.

All have been used successfully. Mercury claims that their oil will emulsify small amounts of water and still provide lube-protection when contaminated with water.

If you trailer your boat and don't leave it in the water for extended periods of time you can probably extend your intervals to 2 years or so. (I do) You should however, drain a little at the end of each season to check for water.

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

YES it was changed at the end of last season and was not used till I bought it last month. It looks like a dirty black almost greyish green color. I do not know what color it is supposed to look like as this is my first I/O.

If I take it down to be changed (there is a boat shop not far from me) will he be able to see if there is a leak anywhere?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If I take it down to be changed (there is a boat shop not far from me) will he be able to see if there is a leak anywhere?

Difficult for me to see from here.....Grayish-green?

Green is HP (synthetic) Grayish might be water.

Here's what it should look like if it is new and clean from the following container
dscn1659.jpg

dscn1663.jpg

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine is darker, I will try and snap a pic later. I would say more grey and maybe with some water after looking at how clean yours is? Now if there is water in it, how else can I tell. Is there anything from outside on the outdrive that I can be able to tell or is that the plain sight answer something is wrong. What kind of repairs cost wise and is this something that is common on in I/O?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yours is a Gen II drive. I cannot say why it is (or could be) leaking but just picking up a piece of fishing line in the prop can do it (by damaging the prop shaft seal)

You'll need to pressure check it so determine if it is in fact leaking.

Here's a great thread on doing it.

There's also other discussions on how much pressure (and vacuum) it should hold.....just do a search of the forum.

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK I snapped some pics. When I checked it this morning it was about even with the top of the sensor at the bottom of the bottle, now when I check it (it is about 100 degrees outside) there is more in there, it is about the amount it was before when I checked it (at the ADD mark). Not sure why. There is a slight sludge build up in the bottle so it seems and I put my finger in it and wiped it on a napkin and it is GREEN. Soooooo? What does all this mean?

I did notice some (very little) of the lube on the wires? If that means anything, but I did not notice anything from the bottom of the bottle itself.

DSCF0002-5.jpg

DSCF0001-6.jpg

DSCF0007-2.jpg

DSCF0003-5.jpg

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK I snapped some pics. When I checked it this morning it was about even with the top of the sensor at the bottom of the bottle, now when I check it (it is about 100 degrees outside) there is more in there, it is about the amount it was before when I checked it (at the ADD mark). Not sure why. There is a slight sludge build up in the bottle so it seems and I put my finger in it and wiped it on a napkin and it is GREEN. Soooooo? What does all this mean?

I did notice some (very little) of the lube on the wires? If that means anything, but I did not notice anything from the bottom of the bottle itself.

DSCF0002-5.jpg

DSCF0001-6.jpg

DSCF0007-2.jpg

DSCF0003-5.jpg

NOW what?