How much for this boat?

Thor_SD

Cadet
I'm new to the forums, have been browsing for a while though.

I'm looking to buy a boat and I'm curious what you experienced boaters think about this one.

What is it worth in your opinion?

-No softspots on the floor
-Transom is solid
-135 HP motor (no tilt)

3nb3kf3leZZZZZZZZZ96haebc47209956126c.jpg

3k83pb3lbZZZZZZZZZ96h01aece69147912ea.jpg

3k43p73ofZZZZZZZZZ96h6e798652497f1046.jpg

Thanks guys!

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How much for this boat?

What year? Does it run? Does it say $3k on the windshield?!?!?!?

Thor_SD

Cadet

It's a '76.

The guy I would buy it from will even take me to the lake with it today after work (he is right next to Pactola Lake here in South Dakota.)

Says it runs fine and was just out last weekend with it.

It does say 3,000 on the windshield but he bumped the price down to 2000 I'm just wondering what all of your thoughts are on it and the price range?

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Every region is different, but that is very high for such an old undesireable (tri hull) boat. Here in Upstate NY no tri hull seems to break the 1500 barrier....

Thor_SD

Cadet

I wonder if I could talk him down to 1500?

The only thing that would make it worth it would be the motor no?

Sorry very new to the boat business.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Every region is different, but that is very high for such an old undesireable (tri hull) boat. Here in Upstate NY no tri hull seems to break the 1500 barrier....

You'd be buying the motor/trailer basically, boats like that are often free but usually around $500-800 here in Michigan. If the Evinrude runs and has been well cared-for it may be worth the asking price.:)

That being said, if she floats then you'll be on the water. Good luck.:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old

Thor_SD

Cadet

Thanks for the input so far guys, keep it coming. I just don't want to be robbed basically ;)

H8tank

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think $1200 he's getting too much.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Make sure you look around and dont by the first boat you see just to get out on the water. youll find what you want just give it some time chcek out craigslist.com really good deals on there with this economy

Thor_SD

Cadet

I basically want a boat for fishing.

With the capability of pullin a tuber/skii/wakeboard.

As long as they can pull it and cruise around and have a little bit of fun that's what I'm looking for.

My price range is $1800 or under - Working!

Thanks guys!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Trihulls are great in the pond in your backyard.Beyond that the only one enjoying them is the dentist who will charge you for reattaching the loose teeth they will cause because of their terrible ride in wavy water.The engine is a seventies which makes it very thirsty compared to the ones build in the mid eighties and up and it looks like it is too big for the boat,but it may be worth around $500.The trailer is maybe $300.
If he is willing to go down to $800 then you're good, anything over that,you are paying too much

Thor_SD

Cadet

The lakes out here aren't big by anymeans, and that's all I plan on going on, so in other words I should talk him down or a no go if he won't go low?

jack1130

Seaman Apprentice

For what its worth, my first thought was $1000 - $1500. I recently became a boat owner for the first time after over a year of looking. Your SD market is about the same as my Nebraska market and I found a pretty good deal.
I would give it a ride then keep shopping a while for comparisons sake.

Nandy

Commander

A boat is worth whatever you are willing to pay, if you like it and does what you want it to do...

I bought one like that with a 1974 115 hp evinrude for 525 dollars not 3 weeks ago. I could got it cheaper but the guy was in really trouble and I still have a heart.

Please, dont take this the wrong way, if the transom is as you described and the deck (boats has no floor) is good as you described (do you really know it is or have the know how to tell?) you will be robbed to pay 1200 for that... $800.00 tops. That guys is insane to ask 3k for it, I mean, someone could pay that, sounds like you were about to give him 2k... He just have to find the guy that is clueless and wont ask. Im glad you did ask around. Also take the advise about how rough those trihulls boats ride. I had 2 of those, they are very stable, but any ripples in the water will knock your teeth out and send you to the chiropractor. I was to the point of using my trihull only in the mornings while fishing. Once the lake started to wake up I had to leave and there was a lot of lake that I could not visit...
Good luck, keep looking.

Huron Angler

Admiral

If I were you I would be looking for an aluminum Starcraft similar to this:

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/1221886346.html

Aluminum is lightweight and strong for easier handling and docking...also saves $$$ on gas:D running a newer, smaller motor(this Evinrude is from the mid 80s I believe). You could still tube and ski, not sure about wakeboarding though.

The Starcrafts were made in northern Indiana so we have lots here in Michigan, not sure if you will see as many in your area.

Thor_SD

Cadet

Could you give me any advise to back up me asking for a lower price on that boat, other then the fact its over 30 years old :D

I really appreciate the help everyone has offered!

Thanks

salty87

Commander

boats of that vintage either have had stringer/deck/transom rebuilds or they will need it soon enough. if it hasn't been done, you're either gonna have to sell the boat before it gets done or do it yourself.

feels soft, solid now. tell him you think it needs alot of work.

hopefully, you'll have looked at at least 3 or 4 other boats by the time you're ready to make an offer. old boats grow on trees, really...there's a new batch every year.

Thor_SD

Cadet

Seems all the boats around here in working condition don't go under the $1000 mark.

I'm assuming it's because of the location, and I'm not willing to drive 300+ miles for a boat under $2,000.

This is the fourth boat that I will look at over the year, have been doing some searching over winter too.

I just don't have a good feel for what a "bargain" is.

THE HUNT CONTINUES!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Move along folks..Nothing to see here..

The problem with many guys selling their boat is that they remember what they may have paid for it X years ago, and they think it's worth waaaay more than the actual market.

You asked for some "ammo" to go back to him to lower his price..Well how about just KNOWING that there are other boats in your area for sale at much more reasonable prices..Take a look at this tri-hull I found on CL, heck print this out and take it with you for ammo..Tell him ya hafta go look at this one as well before making up your mind...

http://sd.craigslist.org/boa/1243860909.html