~~Wake tower speakers and amp question??~~

camarostripes96

Seaman Apprentice
ok i have a 1997 bayliner capri with a V8 350, one battery, and has a wake tower, it has a kenwood cd player in it and i just bought 2 wake tower speakers....i am wanting to hook an amp up to the tower speakers so i was curious would i need 2 batterys to power an amp for just those two 6 1/2 tower speakers or could i just use my battery i have? if so how do i hook up 2 batterys and not mess anything up? like have one battery for starting and another battery for amp but also charges? is there a way?
i will hook up 1 10inch sub down the road shortly so keep that in mind

thanks for the help

jimbo3123

Seaman Apprentice
Re: ~~Wake tower speakers and amp question??~~

ok i have a 1997 bayliner capri with a V8 350, one battery, and has a wake tower, it has a kenwood cd player in it and i just bought 2 wake tower speakers....i am wanting to hook an amp up to the tower speakers so i was curious would i need 2 batterys to power an amp for just those two 6 1/2 tower speakers or could i just use my battery i have? if so how do i hook up 2 batterys and not mess anything up? like have one battery for starting and another battery for amp but also charges? is there a way?
i will hook up 1 10inch sub down the road shortly so keep that in mind

thanks for the help

Unless you plan to park with the stereo on and the engine off for long periods of time, you should be fine with just the one battery. People do it in cars all of the time.

If you want to add a second battery, you should add a battery switch that will allow you to start the engine with one of the two batteries, then switch over to both to let the alternator charge both of them.

camarostripes96

Seaman Apprentice

so how do u wire that up to the batterys, i park for sometimes and we turn the stereo on and listen with the engine off, with just a little amp and my 2 wake tower speakers would that drain much juice?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

How big is the "little" amp. The amount of current an amp draws is directly related to its size (watts). To wire the battery switch you follow the directions that come with it. But for your purposes a ACR (automatic charge relay) would probably work best as there is no intervention required on your part. The starting battery will receive all of the charging current until it is fully charged. Then the ACR switches and the house battery charges. If you are electrically challenged, let someone install the switch or ACR who is not electrically challenged.

camarostripes96

Seaman Apprentice

well the amp will probably be somewheres around 200 watts or so not that much, just something to make them sound good! so where would i get an acr at?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

200 watts is not much probably when comparing it to a 500 or 1000 watt system but when you have one battery and it must service all devices, that's a substantial load. You need a house battery (big deep cycle). Add an ACR and be done with it. Wire the high current draw devices to the house battery.