Booze and boating

markernineteen

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Booze and boating

NO Drinking NO Smoking NO Drugs on my boat . Just think of the liability , the captain is responsible for everyone aboard . It would be interesting to see a poll on this question .

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

No drinking at all on our boat. After the days boating is another matter though.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I boarded a canadian coast guard ship some years ago, and they had beer on board. pretty weird, we thought.

In Canada the Coast Guard is a civil service not military like the states. (Actually our navy ships have beer too!)

81 beachcomber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if im going somewhere overnight or for the weekend LOTS of beers come along. but i wait untill im setup at the camp spot before drinking.... however i do like to sit in the boat while its tied to the dock and drink. this might not be the best idea but, to each his own....CHEERS lol

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

In Canada the Coast Guard is a civil service not military like the states. (Actually our navy ships have beer too!)

ahh...that makes sense, but still seems a little ironic. It was in BC, Victoria actually. about 14 years ago now that i think about.....uhoh im gettin old haha.

slydog75

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here in NC its just as if you were in a car. I dont drink so have no mercy for those that do. Problem is just what does "a couple of beers" mean? Everyone says "I had just a couple of beers" yet very few people that like beer and have a chance to suck down a few stop at just 2.You cant get high on just 2.I drank for many years and have never seen anyone have "just a couple of beers" NEVER,,Thats BS

you apparently hung out with a bunch of alcoholics. We have just a couple beers all the time.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ahh...that makes sense, but still seems a little ironic. It was in BC, Victoria actually. about 14 years ago now that i think about.....uhoh im gettin old haha.

Victoria is my home town and I worked for the Coast Guard there, but more than 14 years ago. (I'm really old :) ) Do you remember which ship it was?

LadyFish

Admiral

To me, it dosen't make it better if you travel to a party by boat and don't drink but drive home afterward.

We live on the water as many of our friends do. We go "canal hopping" and visiting our friends up and down the bay. We will leave the boat til morning and get a ride home if we're having too good of a time these days, but like many others, we have done our share of drinking on the boat in years past.

It's not smart. You really need your wits about you especially on a holiday weekend when everybody and their brother who have zero boating experience is out on the water, and you can bet they're drinking.

Be safe out there this weekend people and remember the coasties and game wardens will be out in force.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Beer and boating go hand in hand with almost every boater I know. That said you'd be hard pressed to pick our group out on the lake and ID us a "party raft up". There will typically be between 3 and 8 boats on any given weekend or holiday. On several occasions we have been approached by the DNR for registration and safety checks without issue. It all has to do with moderation and self control.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I keep and make sure I have booze on my boat all the time. I never know who is going to show up. :D However, my boat never leaves the dock if drinking is going on. Others at the dock will go out that I know have been drinking. When they do, I stay at the dock where its safer :D

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Here in PA the boat DUI mirrors a car with the exception of, if you get arrested for boating under the influence your boating privileges are suspended for one year, not your drivers license.

As for drinking on the boat the only law that exists is that to consume alcohol you must be over the age of 21.

slydog75

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here in PA the boat DUI mirrors a car with the exception of, if you get arrested for boating under the influence your boating privileges are suspended for one year, not your drivers license.

As for drinking on the boat the only law that exists is that to consume alcohol you must be over the age of 21.

And you can't do it period on state park water/property.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

All beer stays in the house the only time we have a beer is when we quit boating for the evening,all my friends know NO Beer On The Boat and that is my final answer

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

No alcoholic beverages on my boat, anytime. No yabuts.

I have seen too many that thought they were in moderation put their lives and lives of others in grave danger. I have also seen too many out-of-control drunks turn a day on the lake into a nightmare.

Back in camp is the place for the beer. . .or Scotch. . .or brandy, with a nice Cuban cigar. Where and when you have nobody else's life in your hands.

Now Now JB a good scotch a slow smokin Cuban does not lead to carnage, At least in my day it brought the world into perspective...One damm fine place to be.:cool:

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

I'm with the no alcohol on the boat crowd.

My step son brings a case of beer (over my objections, my wife allows it) and usually causes a scene for me to fix. After which, he's banned from the boat until I cool down, usually six months later.

On occasion, and by exception, if we're camped or anchored for the day, I'll drink a couple early with lunch followed by lots of water. My wife and friends can have at it as long as everyone is under control when they get back on the boat.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I know I'm gonna get killed here but... I boat off the gulf.

I run 50-60 miles out, fish, have a few beers (maybe 6) and head back. It's a 2 hour trip, no boats to hit while I'm out 4-5 hours later I head back. Me and my friends are all over 220. Guaranteed sober by the time I'm back at the dock.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I know I'm gonna get killed here but... I boat off the gulf.

I run 50-60 miles out, fish, have a few beers (maybe 6) and head back. It's a 2 hour trip, no boats to hit while I'm out 4-5 hours later I head back. Me and my friends are all over 220. Guaranteed sober by the time I'm back at the dock.

You can do as you like. Just wondering if there is anyone sober on board if an emergency should arise.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

What's a boat without a kegerator, I say! Isn't that where the term 'wet bar' came from? :D

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

5-6 beers and a 6-7 hour trip isnt exactly hammered. I think if something came up we could probably get through it.

mphy98

Lieutenant

when we come up to Canada we keep one can of beer for shore lunch (beer batter) and that is it. I hope we are not breaking any laws by doing this. Not every trip out, sometimes we have the cajun spice, and other types of spices as well. Once a week though the beer batter is good for us. We really like your walleyes for lunch!!!! Thank You For your hospitality!!