trouble finding right controls for my 1960 johnson

ron12

Cadet
well i am at it again can't seem to find the right controls for my johnson it'a 1960 40hp ss mod#rdsl-22.found a control box but the wire harness plug is round with 8 wires and the plug on my motor housing is rectangle with 7 wires.does anyone know where or how to find these parts.
thanks again,
ron

Attachments

• controls 001.jpg
    controls 001.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
  • controls 003.jpg
    controls 003.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 0
  • ben and boat stuff 028.jpg
    ben and boat stuff 028.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: trouble finding right controls for my 1960 johnson

that motor used a dash mounted ignition switch, and the old shipmaster 2 handle control. it has a wiring harness that came to a box mounted on the transom of the boat, and then a wires to the ignition. this system is extremely hard to find intact.

shipmastercontrol.jpg

starterbox.jpg

duracraftignition002.jpg

startersolenoid001.jpg

ron12

Cadet

awesome thanks td guess i'll be looking for a while unless i can make it myself.if it's possible to do as far as the sylinoid goes is it marine or reagular auto?
thanks again for the info,
ron

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Definitely a marine solenoid. A car one will fry the neutral safety switch.

ron12

Cadet

ok thanks for the tip. i'm gonna keep my eye out but i think i might try making my own setup.any other tips about this system would be awesome .
thanks again,
ron

ron12

Cadet

hey td on that solinoid diagram do i run one wire to a switch and the other to the button? i just picked up a 50hp johnson v4 came with 4 sets of controls two control boxes.the boxes i'm not to sure about wiring looks bad but solinoid is good. no plug to the motor do i need the box or can i just use the solinoid with the ignition that came in the box of stuff with the motor?
thanks again,
ron

Attachments

• new boat 030.jpg
    new boat 030.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1
  • new boat 031.jpg
    new boat 031.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1
  • new boat 032.jpg
    new boat 032.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i never used a key switch on mine, just a push button for the starter, and a push button for the choke.

the key switch in the picture never worked. just run one hot wire , and split it for the 2 push buttons. if you get the wrong key switch, you can toast your coils in an instant.

ron12

Cadet

ok cool thanks much. wuts your thought on the 50hp johnson v4? is it a good motor hell this one was free got great compession hell it tryed starting in my van when i picked it up.
ron

lindy46

Captain

That "fat 50" will burn a lot more gas than the 40hp with not much more performance. I'd probably stick with the 40hp. You can use the key switch - put an ohmmeter on the back connectors to find out what wires go where. In the "off" position, find to two posts which are normally closed - turn the key to the "run" position and the circuit will open. That will be your kill circuit. Connect the two black wires that run directly to the points under the flywheel. With the key switch at the "start" position, find the two posts which are closed. Run one wire from the battery or the large post on the solenoid which connects to the battery, to one of those posts. Then run another wire from the other switch post to the small post on the solenoid next to the large battery post. You'll need a separate switch for your choke - a toggle will work just fine. Hot wire can jump from the start switch, and the other connector will go back directly to the choke solenoid.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Ron12, do you have any idea what you scored there? You got two voltage regulators that cost $100 each, new. You also got a rare Evinrude dash medallion, worth lotsa bucks.

Iandayen

Seaman Apprentice

I was looking at the wiring for my new one today, and after 3 hours I realized something you might not know.

That hole to the left of your rectangular input is a ground.

The ground runs through that part of your plug then back into the solenoid on the original setup (not sure why).

I had to find a new bolt to run all the way through the back side and long enough to go into my cable and out the other side with enough room for a bolt/nut in order to get my engine to crank with a key.

If I had known that ahead of time I could have saved myself about 3 hours of head scratching >.<

ron12

Cadet

man all this info is awesome thanks a bunch everyone i got the controls hooked up and working great.still working on the wiring issue and also how to hook up the sterring cable to the motor.where do i get a manuel for this motor mod#v4sl11a or for now a wiring diagram.also not to sure about the hook up of the choke all i see on the motor is a little lever that has three positions on auto off.or is it part of the wiring harness?
thanks again,
ron

Attachments

• new motor 007.jpg
    new motor 007.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
  • new motor 006.jpg
    new motor 006.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 0
  • new motor 008.jpg
    new motor 008.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The difference between an automotive starter solenoid and an outboard solenoid is in the grounding point. An automotive solenoid grounds through the base, while an outboard solenoid does not.

An outboard solenoid has four posts like its automotive cousin, but the function of one is different. On the outboard solenoid, the two large posts are for the heavy gauge battery cables. The smaller posts, which are located between the larger ones, are for the solenoid engagement circuit and the ground.

No matter which of the two motors that you use, get your hands on a wiring diagram and make sure that you run your wiring correctly!

bubucrash

Recruit

TD, will that Ship-Master you show work on my 1965 Johnson 33 Super Seahorse?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Should work if your 65 is a manual shift. The old control boxes are still around out there...you just have to dig to find them...worth the time unless you want to tiller steer your rig.

ron12

Cadet

i have a few diffrent sets of shipmaster and evinrude simplex complete ready to go in lemme know if you need one.
ron

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did find a source for the wire harness with the rectangular plug. But, I'm at work and my notes are at home. I'll try to remember to ad it to the thread this evening. However, they must be made of gold, as they want $230!! I'm going to attempt to make one out of Epoxy and check my local "JohnRude guy" (he's got more stuff cubby holed around his shop and yard than is on all of E-Bay! LOL) before I spring that much cash for one.