05 5.0 Mercruiser won't start

MFSMH

Cadet
Hello everybody new here, anyway got a 2005 30' SeaRay w/ twin 5.0 Mercruisers. Engine ran out of fuel on the starboard engine on the way to refuel it. Refueled it and the engine wont crank over. It wants to but seems like its not getting any fuel.Is there a reset switch on the fuel pump?:confused: btw... The engine was running fine before it ran out of fuel. Any suggestions. Thanx

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 05 5.0 Mercruiser won't start

twin 5.0 Mercruisers

Ayuh,... Which 1s,..?? Carbed or Injected,..??

Did you check the fuel Filters,..??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Prime the engine mounted fuel filters.

Since I would bet you haven't changed the filters lately, Get two new fuel filters/water seperating elements. Fill them with clean fuel and install.
May take a couple of trys, but it should start. Injected or carbed.

If injected, just turn the key to run so the pumps run for 2 seconds. Do this about 3 or 4 times after installing the new full filters.
If carbed, just crank while pumping the throttle, till it starts (not over 15 seconds though)

MFSMH

Cadet

Yes you are right i haven't changed the fuel filters in a long time. I'll change them and fill with fresh fuel, prime them and see what happends. I'll keep you posted on the result. Thanks for the responce.. Chris

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You still need to post what you have, carbed or EFI. Just changing the filters may not be the complete answer to your question.