Mercruiser 4.3 stalling when fuel tank on half

1400falcon

Recruit
Just got a 2006 Stingray 195LR. Runs great until we get down to about a half tank, then she stalls when the nose is up during plane. Sometimes to dying, and sometimes she'll pick up and move on with full power. When tank is full she runs like the devil. We've had her out 2 times and both times we filled her up and had the same results when she got to half full.

Last edited:

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 stalling when fuel tank on half

If you can get at the fuel pickup tube it might be worth checking it to see if it's plugged up with garbage.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like something with the fuel pickup in the tank. You may have to pull up the floor to get a good look at things. It is possible there is hole in the pickup tube that is submerged in fuel until the tank is half empty. Once it starts sucking air the fuel will not flow. Could be crap in the tank as stated, but I would think that the fuel level issue would not be that consistant then.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It is possible there is hole in the pickup tube that is submerged in fuel until the tank is half empty. Once it starts sucking air the fuel will not flow.

I've never heard of such a problem with a hole in the pick up tube... but that is exactly what it sounds like is happening.

Just got a 2006 Stingray 195LR. Runs great until we get down to about a half tank, then she stalls when the nose is up during plane.

Another possibility is poor design. This is a "new to you" boat. Maybe the pickup is in such a location that the fuel rushes away from the pickup when the bow is raised. Again - I cannot imagine that the pick up would be in the front.... Bottom line, I would access the pick up tube and see what it looks like.

1400falcon

Recruit

Thanks all, I'm having the fuel pickup tube/assembly changed tomorrow.

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Instead of changing parts till its fixed, try pressurizing (10 psi) the fuel supply system from the fuel pump inlet to the pick up tube and look for leaks. Also when the tank is full it is easier for a weak or worn out fuel pump to deliver fuel to the carb as compared to a half full tank.

1400falcon

Recruit
Followup

Followup

Ran the tank to empty....refilled and no more problem. Perhaps some trash somewhere in the fuel system. Thanks all...