Who has the right of way at the boat launch?

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Who has the right of way at the boat launch?

Seems there's a lot of opinions on the "right" way of doing this.
Some say the launchers have the right of way and some say the retrivers...

This is disappointing, because with all the different opinions here, there's bound to be some hurt feelings and angry words at the ramp with no one agreeing on what the proper etiquette is...

I think my way is fair no matter what end of the process I'm at. I think it's proper etiquette. There's no rules posted, so I'll keep doing what I've done....

willieboy

Seaman

At the lake I frequent the most, it is the next person in line THAT IS READY TO GO (launch or retrieve). If you are in the rigging lane, loading, unstrapping, etc..., you are not in the launch que.

zinc

Seaman Apprentice

Where I drop my boat at they have guards there on the weekend to keep the peace on the ramp,
Guess that's why I only go out on the week days:rolleyes:

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sounds like you were headed in during the outbound rush.

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was actually headed back in late afternoon, so I was a bit surprised to see boats in line waiting to launch.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

I work at a marina that also has a ramp. In general the tow vehicles line up to launch or load, does not matter which, they all have to wait there turn in line. the only thing that messes up this system is when a boat is sinking and it needs to get out asap... I have had to deal with this afew times, people usually dont mind at all, and are happy to assist in any way they can.

I also frequent a local lake that is always VERY popular, and there are usually a line of boats in the water, and a line of trailers on land.(boats have no room to approach the shore) and usually common courtesy would prevail and it would alternate to a degree, (one trailer launches, one boat comes in, one trailer launches, one comes in, etc) This seems to work well, especially when everyone knows the drill and things keep moving smoothly. and the one odd one that isnt aware of the situation learns what going on and just flows along...

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wouldn't that logic change if there was no parking space left? Wouldn't the outgoing boat be given priority so that the launching truck/trailer have a space to park?;)

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Seems there's a lot of opinions on the "right" way of doing this.
Some say the launchers have the right of way and some say the retrivers...

This is disappointing, because with all the different opinions here, there's bound to be some hurt feelings and angry words at the ramp with no one agreeing on what the proper etiquette is...

I think my way is fair no matter what end of the process I'm at. I think it's proper etiquette. There's no rules posted, so I'll keep doing what I've done....

I think you are missing the point- It does'nt matter if you are putting in or taking out---- If you are next in line for a lane thats your lane ;) Use it for what you need it for :confused: Just Git R Dun :cool:

ronnieb09

Seaman Apprentice

I think you are missing the point- It does'nt matter if you are putting in or taking out---- If you are next in line for a lane thats your lane ;) Use it for what you need it for :confused: Just Git R Dun :cool:

Agreed. Provided you're aware of your surroundings, considerate of others and have some common sense there should be no problems.

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

golf101, I understand your father not comfortable driving the boat. How come he didn't back up the trailer while you leave the dock available in the mean time? Just curious.

skargo

Banned

golf101, I understand your father not comfortable driving the boat. How come he didn't back up the trailer while you leave the dock available in the mean time? Just curious.

Mayhaps he isn't comfortable backing the trailer either. Such is the case with my wife, she's not comfortable dropping me off and taking the boat back out, nor is she comfortable backing the trailer yet, but we are working on those 2 things.

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He's never backed the trailer up before, and it was a small area to pull up and turnaround, so I'm not sure I would have been comfortable with him doing it even if he offered. He has never really been on or around boats before, he was just with me on vacation and went out on the boat on a ride with me and my kids.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

IMO, if you are in the ramp before someone backs up to launch, you have "right of way." If they are position to launch before you tie up, they have priority.

Where I live, people just tend to work this sort of thing out, but in many places, it seems that arguments tend to crop up. At the risk of offending younger people, I tend to see this type of behavior among young guys between the ages of about 18 and 35. The teens and early 20 crowd seems to be influenced by booze and the need to show off for a woman. The older ones in that group seem to be the type with expensive and loud go-fast boats. With them, its sort of an ego driven "look at me" thing.

I won't say that I will never let these morons have their way, but I am much more likely to just tell them that I'd be happy to call the law, if they can't behave themselves.

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMO, if you are in the ramp before someone backs up to launch, you have "right of way." If they are position to launch before you tie up, they have priority.
This is exactly how feel and have been doing it. Never had a problem with anyone yet, I guess because that's how it's done at my ramp...

Someone said I'm missing the point... I don't think that's the case...

Nandy

Commander

Being a NC boater I can tell you that at my ramp when all of the rampsa are tied up the boater taking our takes priority. If you have all 4 dock spots used by boaters ready to trail their boat you let them go past you as otherwise no one is using the ramps. I generally ask the line of boaters. Plenty of guys just drive past the waiting line as long as your trailer is empty no one complaints. Now, if lets say 3 docking spots are clear and you are taking out you let those 3 guys ahead of you put their boat in the dock, then ask the other in line if you can retrieve... That I recall I have never have a problem in 10+ years...

salty87

Commander

single handling always changes things a bit. you can't be in 2 places at once so whatever it takes without being inconsiderate.

around here though, it's the trailer that decides who's going when. a boat isn't doing anything at the bottom of the ramp without a trailer except blocking traffic, so get it out of the way while others use the ramp.

those saying you should block the ramp...what if there are other people already getting their trailers to retrieve their boats....do you drive around them somehow to get to the front? that would fall into the inconsiderate category imo. trailers waiting to get boats form a line and wait for an open ramp. traffic would eventually come to a standstill with abandoned boats at the bottom of the ramp.

i prefer the neighborhood single lane ramp, less mayhem.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

I used to boat at a VERY busy lake (no longer, thank god), and this just did not work. The line would get so long, there was just no way for someone to "cut" in order to retrieve their boat (the loading areas are typically one way and pretty narrow). You would have no choice but to join the line, and thus the ramp where you left the boat would be out of business until you made it to the front of the line.

Luckily, there is at least one courtesy dock at each ramp, and most people understood that they left the boat at the dock while putting their trailer in line. when the trailer got to the front, you can go get your boat.

I understand that without second driver, courtesy dock, or beaching area you need to be more flexible, but if you got these, the rule is your trailer is in line, not your boat.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

For those of you whose wives are not comfortable driving the boat, I gotta say teaching the wife the be a competent driver can be pretty good for the marriage. Not just at the ramp either, sometimes its pretty relaxing to just let someone else take the helm while you enjoy a cold one. And if you ever want a turn on the tube, ski or board, its pretty much required.

My wife was reticent at first, but pretty much drives half the time now.;)

skargo

Banned

For those of you whose wives are not comfortable driving the boat, I gotta say teaching the wife the be a competent driver can be pretty good for the marriage. Not just at the ramp either, sometimes its pretty relaxing to just let someone else take the helm while you enjoy a cold one. And if you ever want a turn on the tube, ski or board, its pretty much required.

My wife was reticent at first, but pretty much drives half the time now.;)

My wife enjoys driving out in open water, but we have to work on docking and all that. She's nervous now, but after she does it once she will be fine!

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to boat at a VERY busy lake (no longer, thank god), and this just did not work. The line would get so long, there was just no way for someone to "cut" in order to retrieve their boat (the loading areas are typically one way and pretty narrow). You would have no choice but to join the line, and thus the ramp where you left the boat would be out of business until you made it to the front of the line.

Luckily, there is at least one courtesy dock at each ramp, and most people understood that they left the boat at the dock while putting their trailer in line. when the trailer got to the front, you can go get your boat.

I understand that without second driver, courtesy dock, or beaching area you need to be more flexible, but if you got these, the rule is your trailer is in line, not your boat.
Maybe it boils down to the lay out of your particular ramp and the amount of traffic. Ours is 5 lane and wide open with plenty of room and the most people I've seen in line at once is 3...
Guess we're lucky.