Boat is short of bow stop

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer
I had a little trouble on Saturday loading my 18 foot bowrider back on to trailer from launch. I came up about an inch and a half short of hitting the bow stop. The winch is extremely tight now and I cant crank it anymore. I dont want to snap the strap. My safety chain is connected and the tie down transom straps are down. I need to take boat to dealer on Tuesday.

Why did I come up short when loading on the ramp? I can tell you the trailer bunks were completely submerged at ramp.

Is it safe now?

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Boat is short of bow stop

I wouldn't travel with your bow strap that tight and the boat not resting on the stop. Sounds like a recipe to tear the eye out of the bow.

Get it to a ramp and float it. Winch it forward.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Oohh - didnt think of that. I didnt like crunching sound as I was winching forward tightly. I am going to relieve the stress when I get home by cranking trailer wheel down and releasing or loosening winch. There is a public ramp a mile away that i can get to tommorow. But shouldn't the winch strap be tight anyways? the last thing I want to do is tear out that eye.

bustermin

Banned

were you able to go all the way to the bow stop before you launched? did you verify you didnt miss any of the center rollers and are catching one off the side? i know its kind of a stupid question, but ive seen it happen.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Well I'm definitely going to take that short trip tommorow and re-load. The boat is on bunks so theres really no roller issues. Its right over the back roller and squarely on the bunks. Fortunately, it made it back home.

I'm curious now, what holds that bow eye in place. I'm guessing its bolted on the inside to a piece of wood or something. How big is the wood/board and how is that secured to the boat?

ckone0814

Petty Officer 1st Class

coming up short happens every now and then - mostly you'll have it against the roller in the water and by the time you get out to the lot it's back a little. re-dip it or if you have a couple of guys an 18 footer can usually be pushed forward - we've done it a few times.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Its short of the roller by an inch and a half - max

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I got it to sit last night on bow stop without putting it in water. Hooked trailer back up, coasted down driveway about 5 mph and slammed on brakes. Did it twice and it sat right on bow stop. Saved the $20 needed for the launch ramp. All safety tie down attached while doing it.

JimmyOOOOO

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I got it to sit last night on bow stop without putting it in water. Hooked trailer back up, coasted down driveway about 5 mph and slammed on brakes. Did it twice and it sat right on bow stop. Saved the $20 needed for the launch ramp. All safety tie down attached while doing it.

you're a braver man than me... :eek:

jstutz101

Seaman Apprentice

For $20.00 they should launch and retrieve your boat for you!! :D (All the way to the bow stop!!)

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Completely submerging the bunks is mistake #1. I've NEVER seen a boat that loads well on a trailer with the bunks all underwater.

It should be safe, just make sure the boat can't bounce up and down too much. If you need to drive a long distance just find the nearest ramp and back down enough to just start floating the back of the boat, and crank it up to where it should be.

It depends on the size of the boat. If my trailer isn't submerged except for the front 5 ft, the boat would never get on.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is why I will never own anything but a roller trailer.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

yep, I've used this method a few times.....I have a safety chain I leave hooked while doing it, but it works!

fabrimacator21

Petty Officer 1st Class

As long as you put the trailer in the water far enough it's fine.... My trailer has guides with rollers on them which helps alot with alignment and being deep enough. I usually have to sit in the front of the boat and "bounce" the eye up over the bow stop but I barely even put pressure on the winch.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

My Sea Ray came on an EZ Loader roller trailer and I've got 16 dents in the hull right where the rollers were. I converted to bunks. I boat alone a lot (fishing) and for the launch I use rollers suck unless you have 2 people or don't mind getting wet. I mind getting wet when I fish. After having 2 roller trailers and more bunk trailers than that I will never have a roller trailer again. My preference.