bought 2 boats today, here is the smaller of the 2

I picked this little guy up yesterday on the way home from fishing......was setting in town in a empty lot. I picked it up for 250 bucks.
As you can see it needs a new floor, my questions is how do I attach the 3/4 plywood to the fiberglass?? epoxy?
do I need to run some kind of stringer down the sides of the boat to brace it up? the boat is rated for up to 75hp, I have a 65hp mercury I am going to put on it for now. any ideas would be great. Just wanna get this one going so we have something to play on while I redo the 19foot AeroCraft I bought today.

here are a few pictures of it, I will post Pictures of the AeroCraft tomorow when I get her home.

ps, anyone know how to get shoe polish off the side of a fiberglass boat?

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n99/nashport_native/big boats/S7301212.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n99/nashport_native/big boats/S7301213.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n99/nashport_native/big boats/S7301214.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n99/nashport_native/big boats/S7301216.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: bought 2 boats today, here is the smaller of the 2

Maybe i missed something but what about the floor makes it obvious it needs replaced? From what I seen at a quick glance the fiberglass wasn't cracked. Is the floor soft? If it is, you dont fasten new plywood on top of the fiberglass to fix it. You will need to cut the fiberglass away and replace the plywood UNDER the glass. If that is what you need to do, there are plenty of threads on here talking about how do that.

If your floor isn't soft and the fiberglass isn't cracked, I would see no need in replacing the floor. Be sure to do a test somewhere tho before calling the floor good. Take a small drillbit and drill a hole in the floor and check the shavings. If they come out all dry, you're probably ok. If they are damp, the floor gotta go.

Btw, welcome to iboats! And gud luck on both your boats. You got started right by coming here. There probably isn't anything you'll run into that someone or other on here hasn't faced and can tell ya how to do it!

P.S. without a hands on inspection, its a little hard to tell if the hull is cracked or not. Perhaps some things im interpretting as dirt are actually cracks...

I wasn't sure how to mount to the seats since the bottom of the boat isn't flat, I figured you needed to put plywood down to mount the seats???

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Nice, looks like a 14'er, floor looks clean from the pic's. I really like that old school speedo on the dash:cool:

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

O that way....did the boat previously have another floor above the fiberglass do you know?

Is the floor not flat side to side and front to back or were you just referring to the edges? Again cant exactly tell from the pix. Seems a little strange to have a floor in a fiberglass boat thats not flat. I would hardly think it was made with 2 floors in it...

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

She has the potential of shinging right up. It looks like seat just sat on the floor. I notice blue marks that look line rubbings from seats. And I didn't see any bolt holes either. Post the make/model for suggestions where to research her further.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just curious, what is that thing mounted beside the speedo on the dash??

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

She has the potential of shinging right up. It looks like seat just sat on the floor. I notice blue marks that look line rubbings from seats. And I didn't see any bolt holes either. Post the make/model for suggestions where to research her further.

Gud observation. That was my feeling on the setup too. I think you would just mount the seats on the glass. If the floor is good, Id just throw some carpet on the floor and put the seats in.

yeah its a mirror. no the boat is not flat on the inside, has the same curve as the haul, it has a 3 inch wide flat all the way around that looks like you could lay plywood down to make a sub floor for it as seen in picture 2