Channel Markers

Channel Markers

• No, I don't know what the mean. I just want a nice boat ride!

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Yes, i understand what they are for, i use them for an obstacle course

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • What's a Channel Marker?

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Yes, i use them, and understand what they are there for.

Votes: 99 84.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Channel Markers

On the Great Lakes you can be coming from open water entering a river going downstream. For ex. coming from Lake Ontario entering the St Lawrence River, the Red are on the Left. But most people automatically think, Red Right. We have the same situation on Lake Winnebago, entering Oshkosh is Red Right going upstream, but Menasha at the north outlet end of the lake is Red Left.

Buoys are not oriented to open water. They are oriented to the Ocean. When entering the St. Lawrence from the lake you are ?leaving? for the ocean thus red is on the left.

Red on the Left when Leaving for the ocean
Red on the Right on the Return from the ocean

bekosh

Lieutenant

Buoys are not oriented to open water. They are oriented to the Ocean. When entering the St. Lawrence from the lake you are ?leaving? for the ocean thus red is on the left.

Red on the Left when Leaving for the ocean
Red on the Right on the Return from the ocean
You would be amazed at how many people don't understand that. They have the incorrect perception that 'Returning' is from what ever open water they were on. I'll admit I was confused the first time I went into Menasha from Lake Winnebago. I was "returning" to harbor. Why is the Red on the left?:redface:

The "Red, Right, Return" is just too simple. It leaves out a key detail. The bold in your quote above is exactly the right, detailed explanation. I should of been more clear with what I was saying.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

when travelling abroad I was surprised to see the green/red reversed, or so it seemed. Kept my mouth shut and didn't go correct the captain or grab the wheel (seeing a marker hanging off a cliff in Whitsunday Passage, AUS, confirmed the "right" way to pass it).
The intercoastal/intracoastal waterway can be confusing b/c they are based on travelling south generally as being "returning" but they also appear at ocean inlets, so RRR may be backwards.
On the eastern shore of Virginia they are little more than reminders of where the channels might have been many years ago; you look for the bamboo pole with the chlorox bottle tied to it instead. There's a pole marked with an official sign "Danger" which at times was dangerous b/c it was so deep and now b/c it's so shallow, but the pole hasn't moved and ain't telling.
Even if you don't understand the system it pays to watch the numbers of the markers nearby in case you have to call for assistance. They are the closest we have to road signs.
More than channel markers, boaters need to know if a bouy/marker marks navigable water or a hazard.
If I'm not sure if the reds are right or left I look around for an obvious one: a marker immediately next to shore, bar or obstacle, and use that as a reference.
There is no substitute for knowing how to read the water surface in various conditions. With the popularity of depth finders, people just tool along as if they give you information about upcoming conditions; they only tell you what you just ran over.

bustermin

Banned

yes, you'r right. i mostly go to sebastian and there are plenty of channel markers there in the Indian River, which is why i was use to most people understanding the markers.

oaksld

Seaman Apprentice

I understand the markers for the body of water that I boat in.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I was taught that going downstream the channel markers match the bow light (ie: red left, green right), and were opposite of the bow light going upstream (red right, green left).

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I, too, was confused with the "Red Right Returning" thing the first time I was on Lake Minnetonka (the biggest lake near the Twin Cities). There's an upper lake and a lower lake. The upper lake is to the southwest of the lower lake, so the water actually flows to the northeast. "Red Right Returning" on this body of water is when you are heading southwest, or upstream, towards the upper lake.

Boating on lakes is quite different than on the coastal waterways, so for the most part we can keep things pretty simple: "Red and green, go in between." When we see them, there's often a buoy with a diamond on it somewhere not too far off signaling rocks, so we know the red and green markers are signs of the safe channel.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have to know, one of the local lakes are full of channel markers (so full it's sometimes easy to get confused). If you don't follow them, you get to buy a new outdrive..without question. (Lake Couchiching in Ontario).

T-O-Double-D

Seaman

I have a friend and he's always said that "red right return" statement and I've corrected him every time, But now I see where he got it from and I thank you for adding those three important words on the end "from the ocean".
I have learned something to day and will use this to explain what they mean from now on.
I thank you for explaining it correctly. (cheers)

skargo

Banned

RRR also applies to going upstream in most cases.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

I boat in the ocean so when you come across a red or green marker what do you do?
I rely on my chart, I always have it out, all the depths are listed. also have a book that has a write up of all the coves and gunk holes with special instructions for the entire coast.
Normaly rrr is easy if your entering a cove, but if your going though a pass not sure at all.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Being new to Lake Mead and having come from South Florida, I miss the simplicity of properly marked navigational aids. I'm concerned about getting lost or hitting unmarked mountain tops. (Note: someone stool my GPS)

basspirate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it seems by me a lot of people dont know what a mid channel marker is. they shoot by on both sides and way too far over

rainman1999

Seaman Apprentice

it seems by me a lot of people dont know what a mid channel marker is. they shoot by on both sides and way too far over

A mid- channel marker can be passed on either side safely, hence the term "mid-channel", The preffered channel is dependant on the top color of the marker.

skargo

Banned

A mid- channel marker can be passed on either side safely, hence the term "mid-channel", The preffered channel is dependant on the top color of the marker.

I remember the same from my safety course.

I am amazed at how many "point and shoot" guys there are out there. I don't always stay in the channels, but I stay in MY channels I have saved as routes on my chartplotter/GPS, and feel confident I can duplicate those with my charts should I have an electronics failure.

We were out today and people were running where I would never consider running because of the info on the charts. I also learned some other shortcuts watching some knowledgeable skippers with large craft navigate. :cool:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I am constantly thankful that I boat over soft bottoms.

"My skeg is my depth-finder...."

Actually I do care if I get too close but at least learning, or exploring, doesn't hurt. And since we hunt and fish the flats we are constantly "in touch" with the bottom. I couldn't imagine doing what we do over rock or coral.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I am constantly thankful that I boat over soft bottoms.

"My skeg is my depth-finder...."

Actually I do care if I get too close but at least learning, or exploring, doesn't hurt.

You'll care a whole lot more if you wrap an old abandoned crab pot around your lower unit. Can make quite a mess of your lower unit.

Min. running depth for me is skeg depth plus 3 feet to "hopefully" clear any old pots in the area.

Program shows derelict crab pots pose extensive danger to wildlife
Virginia?s one-of-a-kind program to remove derelict crab traps from Chesapeake Bay is yielding important scientific data that will improve next year?s effort to recover these ?ghost pots? and further reduce their inadvertent trapping of Bay wildlife.

The program, funded by the Virginia Marine Resources Commission (VMRC) and implemented by the Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS), paid out-of-work crab dredgers last winter to use side-imaging sonar units to detect and retrieve abandoned crab pots and other marine debris that litter the bottom of Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries. Watermen were paid $300 a day, and were compensated for their fuel costs.

VIMS scientists, who set up the program and supervised the participating watermen, have analyzed the results of the program?s accomplishments in its first of three years. Their findings show that:

More than 8,600 crab pots were recovered, along with 61 abandoned nets and other debris, including a baby stroller. Many of the pots had been derelict for several years, and continue to inadvertently trap and kill a variety of wildlife. One fully functioning crab pot contained large native oysters that are estimated to be several years old. The environmental impact of new, longer-lasting vinyl crab pots also was identified as a concern.
The recovered crab pots were found to have captured over the winter more wildlife than anticipated, almost 5,000 animals, including crabs, fish, eels, turtles, a duck, and a muskrat. Scientists determined that each functional crab pot can capture and kill about 50 crabs a year.
The 58 watermen who participated in the program covered 1,524 square miles, roughly 376,000 acres, but could not reach thousands of pots that are suspected to be in shallow water. The program will be adjusted next year to include more shallow-draft boats that can reach these pots.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have wrapped (and therefore unwrapped) a couple of traps and it is not fun. worst was before daylight in December (duck hunting); it woulnd downm to the size of a basketball but we still made the sunrise. I'd have no place to go at skeg + 3'. Some areas are 3' at hightide, 0 at low, but those are one I know, and I carry tools for this reason.
Now, I'm talking about flats boating with smaller boats and motors. I can pole or walk my 19' carolina skiff in 4". My new 21', it draws a foot sitting still, motor up and that one doesn't go to the flats for the reasons you describe and when I do explore the lower bay areas, I am very careful. I might follow crab pot floats b/c they are set in the "deeper" water and if I'm not seeing tops I'm doing OK. Still, I'd rather hit a crab pot than a rock of equal size and shape, wouldn't you?

Shizzy

Ensign

I know what all the markers are in the lakes I frequent. I also did some reading on running in the rivers around here as well. I figured it was good info to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.