So that same guy . . .

QC

Supreme Mariner
. . . goes to the launch ramp after a weekend in a slip, and his trailer is gone.

Poof!:

5vnim8.jpg

This is the same guy in my other weekend thread, and believe it or not . . . he got it back in three hours . . .

Holy flip? Well the story is that some Meth freak and a couple of cohorts were out on the lake on Saturday (same day we almost sunk his boat). They got towed in by some Good Samaritans who were even Gooder than that. They didn't think these guys seemed right, so they called the Park Rangers (Lake Mead ) :cool: Later on, these same guys, were spotted on the launch ramp with a 30 foot Cobalt, and they were trying to stuff it on that there trailer :eek:

There was a tow truck driver there and a couple of others and the Rangers had also watched them to some degree. All up, they grabbed the guys, relaunched the Cobalt and called the owner and took the trailer to impound. Apparently, the Meth dudes had put their trailer license plate on my friend's trailer. That resulted in the impound as there is no VIN for owner contact. When he reported the missing trailer they said, "we think we might have it", and they indeed did. The Rangers also found a few hidden guns in their truck and the plan was for the Main Freak to take the Cobalt to Alabama. Dont ask, I don't know . . .

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: So that same guy . . .

Leave it to a Meth head to try that...Geeze!
Glad the guy got the trailer back...:D

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

wow.....where was this at? i have never heard of anything really getting stolen out at the lake. And, where i usually go tweakers would have stood out pretty badly i think lol. what a crazy weekend, at least he didnt have to buy another trailer or anything!

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If they want it, they will take it.

If they want it, they will take it.

Just heard a story about a buddy of mine that went ATV-ing in Tennessee. They had a 97 Chevrolet pickup with a brand new ATV in the bed and was pulling a trailer with 2 other ATV. Got waken at 5am by the highway patrol. Professional thief took the new ATV and truck...left the trailer. Took the ATV and torched the truck. What a nightmare of a vacation!:mad:

Basically if someone wants it, they gonna get it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

wow.....where was this at?
Hemenway Harbor/Las Vegas Bay. I've been launching there or close to there for over 25 years. Did get a wiring adapter deal thing stolen once. It is close to Vegas so who knows what can happen . . .

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Hemenway Harbor/Las Vegas Bay. I've been launching there or close to there for over 25 years. Did get a wiring adapter deal thing stolen once. It is close to Vegas so who knows what can happen . . .

haha...its close to HENDERSON, so who knows what could happen lol. Henderson, also known as Henderspun for obvious reasons haha. Ive never put in at Hemenway, but it seems pretty popular. I need to explore some more, but low water levels have me kinda scared...i know echo bay so i just keep stayin up there lol. man, ur buddy almost had 2 insurance claims in one weekend!!! that woulda sucked.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A bad day at boating is STILL better than a good day at work!

My buddy had a trailer stolen, never got it back.:eek:
Your freind is lucky that good people still exist. Glad he got it back with only a minor inconvenience.:)
I use a hitch lock on both my receiver and ball latch. They want mine...they'll have to work for it.:confused:

Now that I think of it, I better get some locking lug nuts:rolleyes:.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Anything can happen in the Land of Arnold...they'll be back.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Coupler locks (at least the type that simply lock the lever) are useless as all one needs to do is spin off the adjustment nut, drop the yoke, and off you go. Tongue weight alone will keep the trailer in place until they can get off-site and reinstall the parts. Have a welder tack a bead on the adjuster bolt so the nut can't be spun off or loosened far enough to allow disconnecting the coupler from the ball.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a weld on the threads of the ball itself. As for the lock pin, it runs through the bottom of the tongue, under the adjustment nut. There is no access to the pin large enough for even a key saw.
If they can get that off...they can have it. It's insured:)

However, my other trailer I had not given that any thought.:confused: It locks on the top, like I suspect you are talking about.

I think I know what I am doing tonight...that one is not insured.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

obviously whatever you do can be undone, but there is value in slowing them down. I call padlocks and such "just enough to keep an honest man honest."

QC

Supreme Mariner

I need to explore some more, but low water levels have me kinda scared..
This is something I hear quite often . . . Not to poke anything at you redone, and I am basically hijacking my own thread, but this flippin' lake is 400 ft. deep at places. Someone mentioned being careful in the Narrows as an example. You'd basically have to drive straight into a cliff wall to hit anything in the Narrows.

If you have a depth sounder you can test this, but I can see color at 20+ ft. I am kind of a risk taking safety freak, so I do some things other wouldn't, but at every lake level there are new "passes" made between the shore (or Island) and an(other) Island sticking up maybe 30 ft. I love finding them as I can shoot through them on plane as long as I can see color changing from a light green to a darker green. The darker colors start at around 8 ft. and again I can see down to 20+. If I can see the color changes, I am not going to hit anything and it doesn't matter what the Lake Level is. My depth sounder only works to 350 ft. And I lose signal all over the place ;) Unless it is overcast, you are safe to use your eyes.

I have been saying to friends that it is almost more fun with the lake down. There are WAY more beaches, and there are new coves, and new Islands, and yes, new obstacles. But there are new obstacles at Full Pool (1210 ft.) from say 1200 ft. and visa versa. The ONLY issue is where the River meets the Lake (Sandy Point) and launch ramps. All else is basically the same, just the same in different places . . .

My .02 . . .

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

This is something I hear quite often . . . Not to poke anything at you redone, and I am basically hijacking my own thread, but this flippin' lake is 400 ft. deep at places. Someone mentioned being careful in the Narrows as an example. You'd basically have to drive straight into a cliff wall to hit anything in the Narrows.

If you have a depth sounder you can test this, but I can see color at 20+ ft. I am kind of a risk taking safety freak, so I do some things other wouldn't, but at every lake level there are new "passes" made between the shore (or Island) and an(other) Island sticking up maybe 30 ft. I love finding them as I can shoot through them on plane as long as I can see color changing from a light green to a darker green. The darker colors start at around 8 ft. and again I can see down to 20+. If I can see the color changes, I am not going to hit anything and it doesn't matter what the Lake Level is. My depth sounder only works to 350 ft. And I lose signal all over the place ;) Unless it is overcast, you are safe to use your eyes.

I have been saying to friends that it is almost more fun with the lake down. There are WAY more beaches, and there are new coves, and new Islands, and yes, new obstacles. But there are new obstacles at Full Pool (1210 ft.) from say 1200 ft. and visa versa. The ONLY issue is where the River meets the Lake (Sandy Point) and launch ramps. All else is basically the same, just the same in different places . . .

My .02 . . .

I do see where you are coming from...however, im not cutting in between islands or any of that either. I do like exploring, and I enjoy going waaay back into the coves and seeing where they go n stuff. And, if you launch and go the wrong way in the Echo Bay marina courtesy dock, you are going to hit rocks unless you know where they are at.

I understand that water changes colors with depths, and I do admit I would like to explore calville, las vegas bay, etc a bit more.....im just leary because I only have 1 boat, and can't afford to replace it at the time lol. I'll get over it eventually, and im sure it wont be a big deal. I do have a depth finder, yes I see it go very deep in the middle for sure. The narrows sound cool, we have been talking about that one lately.