Fuel Gyser without the flame

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is a new one for me. Got the raw water pump fixed. Went to start the AQ125a engine, it struggled (like it does when it sits for more than a few weeks).

Anyway i did my normal 2 pumps of the throttle and crank, nothing. Crank again nothing, pump crank then poof gas shot out of the carb no flame. Next crank it started then died, cranked again got another gyser, cranked again and it started and ran great. What do you folks think? The beast is a Single barrel solex on a 125a volvo engine.

So either i flooded it, having issues with my new spark plugs, pumped the throttle too much, timing off, valve issues.

Once it started it ran great, typically is 2-3 pumps and crank and it fires. if I atleast start it once every other week its fine. If it sits longer like it did its stubborn.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Fuel Gyser without the flame

I have seen this issue with older 125a carbs. usually the accelerator pump circut gets plugged and gas squirts like you mention. Also would explane hard starting as fuel not going in to intake to ignite.

Solution, clean carb. You may get lucky and be able to do it with old gaskets (doubtful). Funny how the kits for the solex contain the lowest part count and cost the most.

Make sure you pay special attention to the accelerator pump circuts.

Also hard starting on older boats (ALL) corroded points, rotor and or cap.

havasuboatman

Ensign

Well, you're back firing thru the carb, which suggests timing issues, and depending on what you mean by gyser, you may have flooded the engine, though 4 pumps of the throttle isn't really very much, or your floats or needle may have been temporarily stuck, dumping fuel into the manifold. You're damned lucky the fuel didn't ignite, setting your boat on fire.
How exactly did this gyser get past your spark arrester? Are you not using one?

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

The accelerator jet is fine, it pumps normally. What i am getting is a backfire but with no flame, just a gyser of fuel spraying allover the place. I did rebuild this carb the needle valve was stuck and i did it on the cheap end.

Points are clean and cap and rotor look good. Did tune up at the beginning the season, new plugs and wires. Cap and rotor still looked good so i didnt change those, points were shiny and clean.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, you're back firing thru the carb, which suggests timing issues, and depending on what you mean by gyser, you may have flooded the engine, though 4 pumps of the throttle isn't really very much, or your floats or needle may have been temporarily stuck, dumping fuel into the manifold. You're damned lucky the fuel didn't ignite, setting your boat on fire.
How exactly did this gyser get past your spark arrester? Are you not using one?

Yup there is a sparky arrestor on there, just had it off making sure when i pumped it, it was coming out the jet. Last time i had an issue with starting the bowl was drained out cause the needle valve was stuck shut.

Also the oil is clean, no gas smell or soup. I still think i may have flooded tho, cause i was cranking and pumping it too when it wouldnt start the first time :redface:

I think im gonn pull the spark plugs out again and recheck the gap even though they only had an our or so on them. Even though i fish once ever other week or so i maybe put 10-20hrs on the engine a year. Unless i forget to shut the ignition off. :rolleyes:

havasuboatman

Ensign

Another thought...
How old is this engine? Is there alot of gunk built up under the valve covers? I have had engines with, weakened valve springs, and so much crap built up on the valve stems that the valve would stick or float occaistionaly. (though never a marine engine)

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Double post sorry.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another thought...
How old is this engine? Is there alot of gunk built up under the valve covers? I have had engines with, weakened valve springs, and so much crap built up on the valve stems that the valve would stick or float occaistionaly. (though never a marine engine)

Interesting thought, from what i saw on inside the valve cover looking through the oil filler the valve train were clean as a whistle and shiny and everything else in there. Compared to the ickyness of my chev 350 in my truck.

Boat has about 500hrs on it give or take depending how many times i left the ignition on with the engine off. The engine is a 1984 vintage. So thats about 20hrs a years