new 3.0 wont rev???

jasonsnova

Cadet
ok so heres the story, my 3.0(181,4 cyl) was messed up had a knocking oise so we took it out and did a total rebuild, block sleeved, new pistons,bored .40 over, new cam & lifter etc.... we'll took it out for its intial test run saturday and it seemed to run we'll except it wouldnt rev past 4000 rpms, previously even with low compression and and a knocking it would rev till 4500-4600. it was properly timed, the only thing is the carb has a slight dead spot (which it had before,) so i checked the plugs and it looked slightly lean, but other then that all seemed well, suggestions? ....i did check out the cam specs and it was a stock replacement ( same specs as OEM) seems wierd ..... any ideas....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: new 3.0 wont rev???

You replaced the points and checked dwell and timing?

Bondo

Staff member

the only thing is the carb has a slight dead spot (which it had before,) so i checked the plugs and it looked slightly lean,

Ayuh,.... That's where I'd be lookin'...

jasonsnova

Cadet

well, it doesnt have points, it it has the delco est distributor( hei), upon further looking at the manual i think its timeing , engine acts sluggish and doest make the power it should, i set the timeing 2 degrees BTDC like instructed in the manual, also i did run the jumper wire to the 2 white wires that retards the timeing , but it didnt check it after jumper wire was removed(says timeing should advance to 12 degrees @ idle with jumper removed, it also says total timeing should be 27 degrees all in by 2400-2700 rpms, so.... what im thinking is if the jumper wire didnt make a good connection its aqt least 12 degrees retarded.... i'm going to try to total time it tonight....