Do you stop to help stranded boaters?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Do you stop to help stranded boaters?

The lakes I frequent are rather small so I am always watching the other boats--mostly for proximity purposes.I average asking 1 per week if everything is ok.Haven't towed anyone yet but it will happen eventually.
We usually tow in a couple a season whoever they are. Only had one bad experience when towing in a jet ski. The folk on it almost made out it was my fault they broke down !! and did not even say a "Thank You" when we got them back to their marina !!

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

In my world, someone waving their arms above their head indicates they need help - yes, I stop and help, including towing. As mentioned, an open hatch means nothing. Usually some noobie admiring his dual engines - showing his guests how powerful it is. And that it needs a motor to raise the hatch.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

I live on a small lake and it is never a problem to take anybody into the launch at any time, one time a non resident left me a case of beer on my dock with a note thanking me, I gave him my spare battery so he could take his grandchildren tubing. Small community, big heart. Welcome to NEPA

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If they look like they are in trouble I stop and ask,already this season we towed one in,they were very happy

aspeck

Staff member

Yep, always ... just the way of the water. Just explained that to the littlest aspeck on Friday ... as I was explaining why boaters were some of the best people on earth, most will go out of their way to help others.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Even if it wasn't the law that you have to stop to assist other boaters, my wife and I purposely look for broken down boats.

BTW, did you have your orange distress flag flying? If not, how do you think all those boats knew you were having trouble? An open engine cover doesn't always mean a distress. But flying the orange flag does.

Forgive me, but I'm not aware of the "orange" distress flag requirement. When did this take effect and where is it required?

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

Yesterday we had our boat out on the MISSISSIPPI. Started having some issues with it dying... not getting gas. Had the engine cover up. We literally had AT LEAST 15 boats pass us. Not one stopped and asked if we needed help. WE NEVER pass a boat that looks like it is having trouble without asking if we can help. We even had two kids on the boat. I just can't understand where common courtesy has went nowadays! What would you have done? If you see someone with trouble, do you stop??? Just looking for some answers an opinions! :confused:

THe wave tells it all. We exchange waves were cool. I wave at you and you wave me to you or something like that.

ESP is a dying art.

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

We just started boating a few months ago and have already towed a 14' aluminum fishing boat in a few hundred yards to a dock. He had the cover off his outboard and it was clear he was working on the engine so we pulled up and asked if everything was alright. He was having mechanical issues and had no forward gear. We pulled him in. However, I already had some prop issues that day and I think by towing him in it made our situation worse. Two hours later (most of those two hours the kids were playing at the beach) and we needed to be towed in by another boat. To get attention we whipped out the orange flag that, frankly, I only purchased because the guys at West Marine told me it was required! Came in handy that day!

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Okay thanks Tashasdaddy, I carry the signal flares and hand held flares. Great for offshore in Florida but not necessarily Lake Mead. A distress flag is on my list for the next trip to the store.

And, yes, I always stop when there is a sign or indication of a problem. (On the water and off the water) :)

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

If we see someone that even looks like their having a problem we come aside, and ask if every thing is alright. More times than not every thing if fine. But a couple of times a year we end up towing some one in.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

I will and have stopped for boaters in trouble.

There seems to be some confusion regarding orange flags. The "just" orange flag, at least in Missouri, is to denote skiers/tubers in the water. It is NOT a distress flag.

The distress flag, as shown in the boat education link, has a black square and a black circle, and must be 3x3 in size. Unless one boats on waters patrolled by the USCG, we of the inland lakes crowd, will hardly ever see or even carry one.

I will tow a stranded boater in, if it isn't to far. I was real confident with the old deck boat in towing boats, not so much with the new pontoon.

The water patrol will render some assistance, but Tow Boat/US has three vessels on our lake and are kept busy. And yes, I have the Boat/US towing coverage.

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess we're lucky here. I boat in a moderate size lake, and have many instances over the years where after fishing, while putting the tackle away under the rear sundeck, people have come up to ask if I need a hand. It's commonplace up here to lend a hand. I do it all the time, but thankfully haven't needed one yet.

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I stop if I see someone in need. I figure it is good karma...if I am ever in need, I would hope someone will return the favor.

Many stores, including iboats, sell orage "skier down" flags. They do not have the same markings as an orange distress flag, but I can see where some people would be confused.

Bob1958

Seaman Apprentice

I've done my share of towing, but not nearly as often as I used to. I suppose reliability is a lot better now than it was 30 years ago. I'd never ride by a stranded boater.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yesterday we had our boat out on the MISSISSIPPI. Started having some issues with it dying...

Sorry about your ills. Should have been out on Sat. near Savanna, I would have helped. I never pass a boat that looks to have trouble. Unless of course, someone else is already rendering assistance. But, anyhoo...I don't get where all of these self centered people come from. Maybe they figure they will never be in a postion to need help, or their arrogance tells them that everyone will go out of their way TO help them...I just don't know:(

DayCruiser

Ensign

We always stop and help. Tow people in or jump start their boat. Good idea to carry a long set of Jumper cables with you. Most people here do not go too far away from their homes or off loading ramp. Really a good idea not to do that in a over 900 mile shoreline Lake. People will probably tow you for a couple of hours . You are really pushing the limit if you go over that. I haven't come upon any wanting to be towed over that. Probably would just take them to the nearest boat ramp and let the phone somebody.
Ya people, wave somebody over. Hold up a paddle. Do something to let them know you are in distress. Don't just stare or lift the engine hood

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would stop and check and hope some one would do the same for me.

eight tracker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yep,justdid on saturday.Old fella in a small aluminum boat left the launch about the same time i did,saw him out on the lake fishing later in the day,went about cruising the lake [first time had the boat out this year] sad i know.Was heading back past the launch site and there he was standing up in this little boat paddling with one paddle,and not making any headway against the current,came along side asked if he wanted a tow threw him a line and took him in,no sweat.Old fella never would have made it to the dock.
Tom

scottzfx

Cadet

Yep. Just did today. Two older guys in a nice Ranger. Thought they were fishing first time I passed. Waived me over on second pass. They were using the trolling motor but running out of juice. They threw me a line, hooked up and towed them a couple miles to the ramp. Hope someone does the same for me someday. BTW, if they had not waived me over, I would have never known they were in trouble.

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just curious, can anything go wrong w/the cleats when towing a boat? Let's assume that you're not going too fast, and you're not towing an aircraft carrier.