Great River Trip

riversrme

Seaman Apprentice
I just completed a trip on the Cumberland & Tennessee Rivers. We traveled over 1,000 miles but took out just 125 miles from where we put in without backtracking. I recommend this trip for those wanting to see some really beautiful rivers and meet some great river people along the way. I have posted a brief journal of the trip on the following page:
http://www.riverlorian.com/tennesseecumberland.htm

Last edited:

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Great River Trip

Amazing trip man, had to be very cruel and probably very trying as well.
Great journal, map and pictures. Y'all must be true boat folks. :cool:

riversrme

Seaman Apprentice

It was trying at times but mostly a beautiful and pleasant trip. If I could have it any different, I would not change a thing. Not even the storms that added to the excitement. What really pleased me is that my 24 year-old boat performed flawlessly. I just rebuilt it last winter and everything worked great.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was trying at times but mostly a beautiful and pleasant trip. If I could have it any different, I would not change a thing. Not even the storms that added to the excitement. What really pleased me is that my 24 year-old boat performed flawlessly. I just rebuilt it last winter and everything worked great.

OUTSTANDING, OUTSTANDING, O-U-T-S-T-A-N-D-I-N-G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i'm on my knee's bowing to both of you.
thanks, just refreshes me in getting my 22' starcraft islander finished properly.
this and the green river to moab utah trips are an absolute must.
you look like you really love one another.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

That looks like a killer trip! I would never have considered an entire moving vacation entirely by boat. What did the budget end up being for that trip? How many hours of travel time was it?

I live about 6 hours from that starting point, so mirroring that trip sounds tempting.. once the boat is proven reliable, at least :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow, that was great read. What a neat trip. I didn't even know there was that much continuously navigable waters in the US.

riversrme

Seaman Apprentice

Correction of a typo. My boat is 34 years old, not 24. As for hours and trip cost, I put 79 hours on the motor and cost of fuel was $550.00. Including lodging, supplies and trailering I only spent about $1,000 for the trip. Where else could you spend so little and have such a great time for 12 days. Here is a better photo of the boat.
River%20Runner%20on%20Wabash.JPG

aspeck

Staff member

Abolutely incredible trip! Start and finish are within a days drive of my place ... gotta talk the wife into doing this sometime. Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... great read, ditto on all the props. looks like one heck of a vacation!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Awesome!!! Motivational, thanks.

Our dam river has dams all over the place :(

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a great trip, props to you for doing in your boat, with the limited cover. I wish there were trips around here like that in New England.

sleeper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Whoa, I missed this post. That looks like an awesome trip. You went right through my neck of the woods. We live and boat on Lake Chickamauga in Chattanooga, TN. It looks like you came through here during the Riverbend music festival that goes on for 10 days. All of the boat slips are booked during riverbend over a year in advance. At least you got to eat at a good restaurant, I love the Boathouse.

I would love to do something like this one day, but we barely venture out of comfort zone, from the Chickamauga lock north to the Hiwassee River. One day we will ride over towards Hales Bar and through the river gorge, everyone says it is awesome in the fall once the leaves start changing colors on all the trees.

Major props for the trip on a small craft, you are a motivation.

Red_BOFUS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found this thread last summer when I joined, bought the book and used it many times.

We've now bought a cruiser and we plan to spend July making this trip. Only thing we'll do it really twice as we have to go up and back home.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Glad you had such a great time. The trip looked fantastic. Glad everything went so well. Bad weather is a fact of boating. Glad you were prepared for it and stayed safe. Sleeping on the boat is great, isn't it? Can't wait 'till the spring!!! May you have many more great adventures!!!

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Found this thread doing a search for Chickamauga Lake. How lucky we are to have read your story.

Thank you for keeping it posted!