Help! Motor Problems

myfirstpontoon

Recruit
Hello Board,
I have a two year old pontoon with a Mercury 50. It has always ran fine until this years first outting. The motor starts great and idles great, run great up to 3000 RPMs but will go no faster. There is alot more throttle left but the motor will not responed. You can leave it "Wide Open" and it will sputter ever few minutes but nothing more. I can take the pontoon out of the water and attached the water hose for cooling and the motor response great at all RPMs.
Do I have a fuel problem or something I can check......area repair shops are backed up for 6 weeks!!!!!!!!! summer will be over.
Thanks in advance.

Janet

myfirstpontoon

Recruit
Re: Help! Motor Problems

I think I have a two stroke. My model number is 1B452080. I put oil in a seperate place on the motor and not mixed in the fuel. Is there a way I can tell which I have?
Thank you
Janet

Karl_Childers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help! Motor Problems

Janet,

Not knowing weather or not you have a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke leads me to believe helping you troubleshoot this thing over the internet might be very difficult. No offense. But I'll try.

I really need to know if this thing is carburated or Fuel Injection. If it has carbs, I might point my finger at water in the fuel system. Let's see if you have carbs or not, and then we'll see about draining them/cleaning them.

At the very least, change your sparkplugs. Do not let any parts guy talk you into anything else other than what came from the factory. Call a shop if you aren't sure about what flavor of sparkplug. I have seen bad sparkplugs cause all kinds of drama, and they are a cheap fix.

Try this and get back to me.