How hard is it to add hydraulc steering?

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Optimax 150 and my boat is very hard to steer at times. Up to now i has just been an inconvinence but I've developed a hand problem so I need to do something about it.

Is there a way I can make the steering easier? I was thinking about replacing my rack and pinion steering with hydraulic steering, is that a bad idea?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: How hard is it to add hydraulc steering?

Itis probably harder on your wallet than anything else, a Bay Star system is @$900.

You actually have rack and pinion steering on your boat?

If so I would reccomend a Teleflex NFB system, they are @ $200 and should accomplish the same thing.

Rack and pinion are pretty bad, especially after they get some hours on them.

The Teleflex is standard on all our boats up to 150, I have driven boats with both and don't think the hydraulic is really that much easier especially when you factor in how much more expensive it is.

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

Itis probably harder on your wallet than anything else, a Bay Star system is @$900.

You actually have rack and pinion steering on your boat?

If so I would reccomend a Teleflex NFB system, they are @ $200 and should accomplish the same thing.

Rack and pinion are pretty bad, especially after they get some hours on them.

The Teleflex is standard on all our boats up to 150, I have driven boats with both and don't think the hydraulic is really that much easier especially when you factor in how much more expensive it is.

Thanks for your help

It probably isn't rack an pinion I just didn't know what else to call it.

I'd looked at the NFB system and wondered if they really worked. Are they hard to install?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Read the specfications of the NFB helms before buying. Most I've seen are limited to 140HP and or 50mph.

A BayStar helm is rated to 150HP or less as well. You'll need a Seastar helm for that boat. Should be able to pick up a seastar helm for right around $700

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

Read the specfications of the NFB helms before buying. Most I've seen are limited to 140HP and or 50mph.

A BayStar helm is rated to 150HP or less as well. You'll need a Seastar helm for that boat. Should be able to pick up a seastar helm for right around $700

Thanks, I did a littl checking and it seems that there is a Pro version of the NFB that is in the $300 range that would work for over 50mph boats

I will also check out the Seastar. If I buy one I might have my dealer install it just to be safe

gss036

Commander

That would save you a lot of headaches for some to install it and it would be done properly. Sometimes, trying to save a few dollars gets expensive in the end.