Am I using too much resin??

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 14 foot boat that I gutted out.

So far I laminated in the transom into the hull, coated the stringers and glassed 1.5 oz mat on the stringer boards. The stringers are not in the boat yet.

It looks like as of the time I started up into today I'ved used 5 gallons of tooling Polyester resin.

Am I using too much or it that normal for a small boat like this.

I haven't even started on the deck yet!! :confused:

The deck is about 12 foot long and average width is around 4 foot. I plan to glass in 1.5 oz mat on the underside and 1.5 mat and 6oz. woven on top. How much more resin will I be using?

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Am I using too much resin??

D, sounds like your gonna need 3 more.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

D, sounds like your gonna need 3 more.

I am down to my last two gallons as of a couple minutes ago.

I will just go a head and order 5 more gallons. I need lots of peanut butter to laminate the stringers in. There is more wood flower, talc and cabosil here than I will ever need and figure I'll need more resin for the new eyes and fins anyway.

Orders for my business have gone down the tubes this month and I can't afford to spend much more on the boat but what the heck.:(

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Just a thought, use PL adhesive to bed the stringers, in order to use that resin in another area. Once you glass over them there not going anywhere.

zach103

Commander

go to home depot or lowes... go to where they have all the caulk and stufff.. and youll see it.. PL construction adhesive.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

go to home depot or lowes... go to where they have all the caulk and stufff.. and youll see it.. PL construction adhesive.

The problem is that the hull shifted its shape over the winter from not having the deck in. I have it square now but there is still a 1/2 inch gap in several places where the stringers used to fit almost perfect. I am out of wood to cut new ones. :(

If that PL stuff makes for good filler I'll get some. If not maybe a combination of that and peanut butter will work?

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Looking over my notes from last fall, it looks like my current plan to lay glass on the underside of the deck is over kill.

Just painting it with a couple coats of poly, as it says in my notes, will save me about 3 gallons of resin right there.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

D, PL construction adhesive has been used by many on this site for bedding there stringers. I used it to sandwich my two transom peaces together, super strong stuff. Get the big tubes if you decide to use it, the small tubes are a waste of money.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

D, PL construction adhesive has been used by many on this site for bedding there stringers. I used it to sandwich my two transom peaces together, super strong stuff. Get the big tubes if you decide to use it, the small tubes are a waste of money.

Okay. Will check it out tomorrow morn. Thanks.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

There are a lot of PL brand caulk there. Which type do I use?

Concrete and Masonry

All Weather Window / Door / Siding

Landscape Block Adhesive

PL 200 Construction Adhesive - in blue and gray tube. The lowest priced PL caulk.

PL 300

Polyurethane Construction Adhesive

Lowes and Handy Andy do not carry these in the big tubes.

The lady there says some may not be safe for plastic and fiberglass.

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay Darren, I used the pl premium, or the 5200, thats what i would go with !! John

jonesg

Admiral

PL Premium 5200 caulk,

the 4200 is less rigid and more tacky but skins over faster than the 5200.

I bedded stringers in PL Premium and used the 4200 to seal the ends of my rigging tube ends which run beneath the deck, seems to be ok stuff too.

You can actually bed fiberglass cloth in the 4200, spread the glue then lay the cloth in it and squeegee more into it. Works best with glass tape due to cloth pulling apart.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As a general rule, you will get the greatest strength in a fiberglass lamination when you use the minimum amount of activated resin. After you wet out the glass, use a plastic body filler/fiberglass applicator to squeeze as much resin as possible out of the glass.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Hay Darren, I used the pl premium, or the 5200, thats what i would go with !! John

I just came back from nearly every hardware store in Saginaw County. Noone carries 5200 or 4200 caulk. No 3M stuff on the shelves anymore. Where did you get yours?

According to Lowe's website no stores carry it within 40 miles. Menards, Handy Andy and others don't even have 3M caulk products.

What do I do now? I want to have the stringers bedded and glassed in this week. I don't have time to wait for an internet order to come in and there is no telling how many tubes I'll need. :(

I've seen a lot of the large tubes of the PL Premium Polyurethane Construction Adhesive around here, however. http://www.stickwithpl.com/Products/detail.asp?PLProductID=14.

Is this adequate enough to bed in the stringers long enough so I can glass them in with 1708 biaxial cloth?

Attachments

• pl.gif
    pl.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 0

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got a 19' cabin cruiser that I just redid the transom, stringers, and deck.. I read extensively on iBoats before getting involved, and most people in my situation used upwards of 15 gallons of compound (resin or epoxy). I thought that was major overkill..... until I completed my project.

15 gallons later and she's solid as a rock..

..and some people wondered why I went with poly and not epoxy! sheesh!

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

I've got a 19' cabin cruiser that I just redid the transom, stringers, and deck.. I read extensively on iBoats before getting involved, and most people in my situation used upwards of 15 gallons of compound (resin or epoxy). I thought that was major overkill..... until I completed my project.

15 gallons later and she's solid as a rock..

..and some people wondered why I went with poly and not epoxy! sheesh!

Another 3 gallons was delivered a few days ago. Total is now 11 gallons on my 14 foot boat. I hope none goes to waste!:redface: