2001 305CID, Surging and Stalling

marpayne

Recruit
Hello, I have a 2001 Bayliner with a mercuriser 305 v8, Carb engine. Last boating season and on recent boat activities I continue to get stalling, barely runs when cold, and continues to get better as it warms up, Never complety discontinues the stalling, alsmost like running out of fuel. The engine idles perfect, the carbureter is clean, good fuel, etc. Some have told me that I could have a weak fuel pump, however that seems like it would be the same cold or hot? The boat only has 177 hrs on it, during a non-surge moment it runs perfect! How do I check the fuel pressure, fuel delivery etc? Plugs, rotor and cap look great..

Help!!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2001 305CID, Surging and Stalling

Plugs, rotor and cap look great..

Ayuh,... Have you actually done a Tune Up,..??
Or just looked around,+ called it close enough,..??
How about Servicing it,..?? New Filters,..??

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2001 305CID, Surging and Stalling

Start with the basics, Change fuel filters, clean flame arrestor, go ahead change distributor cap and rotor and change plugs. Check that all plug wires are completely seated and correctly installed on the right cylinders. Check to make sure the choke is operating properly. If the engine is cold the choke should be within 0.150" from the horn and fully open to vertical after the engine is running a few minutes.

I had a very rough running engine when I first bought my boat 2 years ago, but it is runnning great now. I have pretty much changed everything except starter and alternator.