Mercruser 470 in need of some help

oline62

Cadet
Hey everyone, my uncle and just got one of his boats out after 10 years of storage... and needless to say, it's in some need of help. The 2 biggest problems we have is that there is no spark anywhere to be found. When you turn the key the starter spins, but that is about it. The second problem is with the closed cooling system. We opened the cap to see if there was anything in it, and all we found was some rust. Any ideas on how to clean it out, or where to go next?

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruser 470 in need of some help

Download the service manual for your engine and outdrive from the "Adults only" sticky at the top of the forum. Very good info in there.

Also, there is a link in there that guides you through starting problems.

Welcome to the forum.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

10 years, wow thats a long sleep!
I would think that all the rubber hoses should be replaced at the same time you flush out the block. The petcocks at the bottom of the block should be pulled to try and get out as much trash as possible.
then belts, plugs, wires, rotorcap, oil change, fuel filter,thermastat, etc
and hopefully you will find your spark issue.
good luck
rob

oline62

Cadet

Thanks for the adivce... it looks like I have a little more work ahead of me than I though

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's just the engine, all the drive bellows, gear lube, pull the drive and check alignment, lube the ujoint shaft going into the splines. Gimbal bearing, ujoints. Then you WILL need a new impeller, or you WILL have an overheat and burn things up if you aren't careful.

Would bet money the carb needs rebuilt, gas tank needs cleaned, etc. etc. etc.
This new ethenol gas will break up all the old gas in the tank and plug up the filters and carbs for years to come.

You also need to prime the crank and rod and cam bearings before you ever crank the engine over. They are real dry after 10 years. Probably have a bigtime sludge buildup in the oil pan too.