1993 DT140 water pump problem

strataview

Cadet
I just replaced the lower unit and installed a new water pump kit. My problem is flow. At idle I get little or no flow which causes the engine to over heat. At WOT I have the same problem. If I run at I'm guessing (my tach is not working) around 3/4 throttle I get good steady flow. Any ideas?

James R

Commander
Re: 1993 DT140 water pump problem

What exactly did you replace in the water pump. If the housing or base plate are scored you will not get a good flow. The Suzuki has one of the best pump flow rates going.
If a previous impeller failed there could be bits of it blocking the water ways. Pull the lower unit and thermostat, use a water hose from top and bottom alternately to try to flush the bits out.

strataview

Cadet
Re: 1993 DT140 water pump problem

Where do I find the thermostat? I replaced the rubber thingy and the base plate as it comes with the kit. According to my local Suzi repair shop, I also used a little gasket sealant to make a good seal. He suggested a non-petroleum based lube on the inside of the housing which I did not do, but am going to HD tomorrow for some graphite to line around the housing to see if that makes a difference. I also pulled the secondary pickup plastic guard and will do what you suggest by flushing the whole unit tomorrow.