Boat Carpet

t_brown1986

Seaman
I wanna redo the carpet on the bottom floor on my boat.. its tearing up around the drain.. So my question is what should i use to redo it.. Indoor/outdoor carpet or go to a boat place and get some?? The floor under it has a layer of glass over it.. so what kind of glue should i use.. only need a piece 4 foot by 6 foot..

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: Boat Carpet

Bought mine at Lowes-
Used formica glue & applied by brush :)

mphy98

Lieutenant

menards, lowes all the same. use outdoor carpet glue, worked well for me

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I would recommend using boat carpet. I did my boat with indoor outdoor carpet from Home depot and on the front deck and mid deck it only lasted about 2 years. So in a hurry i redid it again using leftover carpet from the first time. This winter ill have to do the hole boat over again with boat carpet.

On a good note i did use Henry's out door glue and it has held up very well. Just use as little as possible for it can and will soak through the carpet if you use to much.

Also acetone will help in removing your old carpet and glue. Pore it on let it sit a few minutes and scrape off. Just use a good mask and lots of ventilation.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

lowes carpet for the trailer bunks, but i would use actual boat carpet for the interior. Trailer Boats magazine did a good write up on this...i think they said use around a 16 oz. carpet at the most, so its still pliable in the corners and stuff. I could be wrong, ill look for the article and post any corrections on that. especially a piece that small, i would spend the extra $$$ and get the good stuff.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you go with carpet make sure you go with a color that will show the least amout of dirt (light brown or gray). I have navy in mine and it always looks filthy. I can clean it all up and the first time I step in the boat from the ground it looks dirty again. Because of that I'm seriously considering not having carpet in my boat and going with a painted on non-skid surface of some sort.

t_brown1986

Seaman

Well imma go with indoor outdoor.. i mean 2 years is a good length i would say to spend 40 bux... and thanks for telling me to just use a little glue.. makes sense.. any other glue used other than formica glue??

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I used, Henry 561 out door carpet glue from Home depot.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Indoor-outdoor carpet glue is usually applied with a notched trowel, like thinset cement. The latex stuff is just as good as the oil based.

I have had good luck with the cheap indoor/outdoor carpet from the Home Despot. It lasts years and stands up to gas and oil spills.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I used a notched trowel, and i used the smallest notches to put just a thin coat of glue down. You don't want to step on or put your knees on the carpet till after the glue dries over night, so its best to do one half of the floor one day then the other the next.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Hav2fish, OK, I'll bite, why not put foot or knee on glued carpet? it might slip? I never had that issue, and I always glued it all down at one time.

A bit of mineral spirits to clean up the oil based cement, if you get it on the carpet.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Just to be on the safe side you don't want the glue to soak through the carpet. If that happens it makes nice looking carpet look like s***. Better to be safe than sorry. Just my opinion.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Ok, That makes sense. A lot of the marine carpets have the rubber backing, so that cannot happen. Some don't of course.

Nandy

Commander

Indoor-outdoor carpet glue is usually applied with a notched trowel, like thinset cement. The latex stuff is just as good as the oil based.

I have had good luck with the cheap indoor/outdoor carpet from the Home Despot. It lasts years and stands up to gas and oil spills.

Ditto, I have one boat that I restored over 5 years ago using homedepot outdoor grey carpet (not even there most expensive) and outdoor carpet glue and the carpet still looks great and its glued properly. Just like the other post, dont use too much glue or it will zip thru the carpet. I had that happened where the gas tanks go so no problem.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

I wanna redo the carpet on the bottom floor on my boat.. its tearing up around the drain.. So my question is what should i use to redo it.. Indoor/outdoor carpet or go to a boat place and get some?? The floor under it has a layer of glass over it.. so what kind of glue should i use.. only need a piece 4 foot by 6 foot..

Since you only need a small piece, look in your yellow pages under "marine upholstery". They probably have a piece that size that is leftover from a job and you'll be able to get a good price on the correct type of carpet.

Jeff

t_brown1986

Seaman

we dont have any places like that near here.. we got one marine place around imma call them tomorrow.

TJDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I re-carpeted my boat 3 years ago with Lowe's outdoor/marine carpet. Seems to be holding up great. ;)
DSCN2066-1.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sorry Dave, no way your carpet could have been called "marine". Then it would have cost twice as much :)