Pennzoil Bad?

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Been buying my 2 stroke oil at my local Acadamey & Pennzoil is about half the price (per pint) of the other brand names ----WHY :confused:

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Pennzoil Bad?

I really can't tell you why they are less expensive but as long as it is TC-W3 rated the oil should be fine.
On a side note I've been using Pennzoil in each and every vehicle I've ever owned for over 45 years and have never had an oil related issue.
Now, just as a recent 2 stroke outboard owner I've been using Pennzoil with no ill effects and have close to 400 hours on the motors.
Of course this is going to open up a huge can of worms - which I hope it doesn't -.
Just my $.02 ;)
http://www.nmma.org/certification/programs/oils/

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I really can't tell you why they are less expensive but as long as it is TC-W3 rated the oil should be fine.
On a side note I've been using Pennzoil in each and every vehicle I've ever owned for over 45 years and have never had an oil related issue.
Now, just as a recent 2 stroke outboard owner I've been using Pennzoil with no ill effects and have close to 400 hours on the motors.
Of course this is going to open up a huge can of worms - which I hope it doesn't -.
Just my $.02 ;)
http://www.nmma.org/certification/programs/oils/

I'm about the same way, been using it for many years but only a couple months in my boat but have wondered each time i bought it "Now why is it so much cheaper?" Finially thought to ask while i was reading here :cool:
Thanks, already feel better :)
Now we both may get flamed :p

jbjennings

Captain

--Been using it in my outboards for years. No problems. They quit selling Pennzoil synthetic 2-stroke at my Walmart. :mad: The only thing they have is SUpertech. Been using it for a while. too. No problems. I check for the NMMA insignia as well.:) Nothing like a good oil thread.;)
JBJ

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

TCW-III minimum performance standards = minimum price ;)

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

TCW-III minimum performance standards = minimum price ;)

Not sure what that means :confused:
Pennzoil is marked TC-W3 rated like the other "name brands" --
If your saying its inferior please say why?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Not sure what that means :confused:
Pennzoil is marked TC-W3 rated like the other "name brands" --
If your saying its inferior please say why?

The TC-W3 certification is a minimum performance standard. The certification does not quantity performance or the quality of a given oil. Only that it passes a set of minimum performance tests develop by the certification company.

Problems I have with the TCW certification program in general:

Why no testing of larger HP motor? If it?s important to test 15hp, 40hp and 70hp why not require testing for 100hp, 150hp and 225hp as well? If the oil meets the requirements of a 15hp does that mean that it will also meet the needs of my 200hp? If so, why bother testing 40hp and 70hp motors?

Most test criteria are ?no more or no less" than the reference oil? Obviously the reference oil is the standard but what does those standards represent? Why not give quantitative figures?

Under this process the oil suppliers don?t have to compete on performance standards. They can push it under the rug by saying the oil was certified to meet a set propriety standards. Who does this certification really benefit? If certification is in the customer best interest why are the details of the test results not available to the public?

The only quantitative standards I found in those documents are these.

Does anyone other than myself think that loosing 19 psi in 100 hours of usage or 20% total area scuffing an unacceptable performance standard?

Why is it that some of best performing oils on the market are not TCW approved?

5.4 NMMA TC-W3? Mercury 15hp Detergency Test

Pass Fail Criteria: To be considered acceptable for certification in TC-W3?, a candidate oil must pass the following criteria:

1) Compression Loss: No cylinder compression loss of equal to or greater than 20 psi is allowed within the 100 hours of test operation, including the 100 hour compression check.

2) Reported piston scuffing, scoring or wiping may not exceed 15% circumferentially on each side of the pistons.

3) Reported piston scuffing, scoring or wiping may not exceed 20% ?total area coverage? per piston side.

4) Reported ring wiping may not exceed 5% of the circumference of the ring face of any ring.

jbjennings

Captain

I've read some oil threads in the past and found some really good info.
What I wish is that the high-dollar oil packages would have a little chart explaining WHY it is worth twice the cost of other oils---how well it held up to piston scuffing, ring-wiping, etc.
Otherwise, I'm going with the cheaper stuff. I like the Pennzoil synthetic when I can find it.
JBJ

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

The TC-W3 certification is a minimum performance standard. The certification does not quantity performance or the quality of a given oil. Only that it passes a set of minimum performance tests develop by the certification company.

Problems I have with the TCW certification program in general:

Why no testing of larger HP motor? If it?s important to test 15hp, 40hp and 70hp why not require testing for 100hp, 150hp and 225hp as well? If the oil meets the requirements of a 15hp does that mean that it will also meet the needs of my 200hp? If so, why bother testing 40hp and 70hp motors?

Most test criteria are ?no more or no less" than the reference oil? Obviously the reference oil is the standard but what does those standards represent? Why not give quantitative figures?

Under this process the oil suppliers don?t have to compete on performance standards. They can push it under the rug by saying the oil was certified to meet a set propriety standards. Who does this certification really benefit? If certification is in the customer best interest why are the details of the test results not available to the public?

The only quantitative standards I found in those documents are these.

Does anyone other than myself think that loosing 19 psi in 100 hours of usage or 20% total area scuffing an unacceptable performance standard?

Why is it that some of best performing oils on the market are not TCW approved?

5.4 NMMA TC-W3? Mercury 15hp Detergency Test

Pass Fail Criteria: To be considered acceptable for certification in TC-W3?, a candidate oil must pass the following criteria:

1) Compression Loss: No cylinder compression loss of equal to or greater than 20 psi is allowed within the 100 hours of test operation, including the 100 hour compression check.

2) Reported piston scuffing, scoring or wiping may not exceed 15% circumferentially on each side of the pistons.

3) Reported piston scuffing, scoring or wiping may not exceed 20% ?total area coverage? per piston side.

4) Reported ring wiping may not exceed 5% of the circumference of the ring face of any ring.

Thank you, very well thought out & explained response :)
Seems most everything we buy & use these days have that "MEETS OR EXCEEDS MININUM REQUIRMENTS" & we automanticly figure its the right product for our needs :confused:
Personally i'll keep using Penzsoil because it does meet those requirements & i can afford it :D
BTW- Sure also agree with what jbjennings said :cool:

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you, very well thought out & explained response :)
Seems most everything we buy & use these days have that "MEETS OR EXCEEDS MININUM REQUIRMENTS" & we automanticly figure its the right product for our needs :confused:
Personally i'll keep using Penzsoil because it does meet those requirements & i can afford it :D
BTW- Sure also agree with what jbjennings said :cool:

Here is what I read on many 2 cycle outboard oil containers: MEETS OR EXCEEDS TCW-3 SPECIFICATIONS

This means this oil is NOT TCW-3 Certified, it just meets the standard ... yet nobody bashes. IMO this only means the company did not want to pay royalty due$ to the certification program.

One other company (I wont tell) writes: RECOMMENDED FOR TCW-3 APPLICATION ... and it creates an oil war .... LOL

Go tell ... LOL

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I believe that Pennzoil makes several different 2 stroke oils. Are you sure you are comparing apples to apples? Are you buying semi-synthetic or full sythetic? What are you comparing it to?

Academy Sports sells Pennzoil semi-synthetic for about $19.00/gallon. That is exactly what I pay for BRP XD-50 (semi-synthetic) in bulk. Given that one is sold by the individual gallon and one is bulk, that is not an exact match in price, but they aren't that far aparrt.

I ran Pennzoil in my outboards for years. Some of the motors were run very hard, but none ever gave me problems. My vote on Pennzoil is that its a good oil.

duner

Cadet

has anyone here ever experienced or know of anyone who has experienced an oil related failure of any type of engine? just curious because in 50+ years i have never actually seen an oil related failure. seen a few lack of oil frags that cost me a few bucks but no oil brand related anything. again, just curious.

MarshMan73

Seaman

I personally use the Penzoil Full Synthetic. It is hard to find anymore because it isn't carried by Wal-Mart here anymore. Didn't see it at my Academy either. Only place I found it was WestMarine. I have been using it in a 1993 Johnson 60HP 3 cylinder I rebuilt back in 2003. Motor is still going strong. Compression is still excellent and looking through the sparkplug hole everything looks rather clean for a 2stroker. Instead of 3 ounces oil to 1 gallon gas, I mix 2.8 ounces per gallon like the bottle says. I just got this 1986 Mercury 175HP V6 that has been run on who knows what. It just used up the last of whatever was in the remote tank and was refilled with Penzoil Full Synthetic.
One primary advantage I find over the full synthetic and the regular stuff is the smell. Right out the bottle this stuff smells cleaner. When run it doesn't have as punget of a smell either. And it says on the bottle it's safer for the environment. Not to be a tree hugger or anything, but it's nice to know I'm not killing the fish I'm trying to catch.
Another thing I found was there is some new oil out by QuickSilver called Rejuvenate I believe. It's supposed to be mechanic-in-a-can and do all sorts of wonderful things, but don't know anyuone that's used it.
Just my 2cents worth

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I personally use the Penzoil Full Synthetic. It is hard to find anymore because it isn't carried by Wal-Mart here anymore. Didn't see it at my Academy either.

You might want to ask the manager at your local Academy about the lack of full synthetic Pennzoil. I bought a gallon of semi synthetic at the store near me on Saturday and they had full synthetic, as well. It was $29.99 per gallon.

A quick check of Academy's web site also confirms that they are selling Pennzoil full synthetic.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...s&start=24&zoom=1&selectedSKU=0107-02265-6571